ged380

I have just recieved my fuse kit for my RV-7. I was going through the parts and checking them off. When I found the tail wheel assy I noticed something odd. This is the only steel part so far that has not been powdercoated. It is just bare steel.
Is it supposed to be like this? I would have expected it to be coated like the other steel parts.

Tailwheel question

Mine came the same way. A friend's 8 tailwheel spring was painted orange.....must have been a return to Van's that was shipped out again ?

All of them that I have seen were just done in red primer (including mine). Perhaps since it is a spring, and is designed to bend, the powdercoat would crack and flake off? (I'm not a powdercoat expert - just guessing...)

Paul

As far as I know, powdercoating is very hard and brittle, so it's probably not coated due to the cracking and flaking that would occur.

Powder Coated Tailspring

I had mine and my buddies springs powdercoated some time ago on our -6's
It appears to be holding up fine....we painted them black.
Seems I attached the tailwheel assembly to the spring and had the entire thing Powder Coated, bolts and all. I replaced the bolts last condition inspection when I noticed a little play in the assembly while installing the new "Bell" tailwheel assembly, so I used some alum tape as a shim and reinstalled it with new bolts.
The powder coating looks fine.
Remember, the coating is thick like paint, so protect the areas that will be assembled for fit. I also taped off the area that fits into the tailcone before coating.