lr172

Well Known Member
I currently have aluminum fittings (True AN from ACS) and hose ends FWF. I had decided to upgrade the hose ends to Earls fittings and Aeroquip 303 hose for reliability. I also just decided to upgrade to FI, so re-configuring things a bit.

In doing some research, I found that steel fittings are recommend on the engine and had planned to replace all of the aluminum fittings with steel. However, I just bought all of the new aluminum hose ends and wondering if these are considered acceptable. Is the recommendation for steel hose ends as well? Do I keep a weak link in the chain by having aluminum hose ends with steel fittings?

I appreciate any input in helping me to figure this out.

Thanks,

Larry

Last edited:
Hose Ends

I source steel hose ends. Normally the hose ends that are -8 (isn) or smaller are steel, though that might vary due to maker. (Someone can probably add to this data point...)

While I am a fan of automotive race type technology, I have begun to find a lot of differences in the supposed "AN" fittings they sell for street/rod use. Mostly, but not always, these are imported fittings and do not look like they have quite the quality of MilSpec fittings.

I figure anywhere I want fire sleeve I want robust hose ends.

I have had issues with import fittings from summit only threading in 1 turn into the acc case. It only takes a thou or 2 to not fit properly. The prices are really attractive but if it doesn't fit...

I was switching to Earls brand fittings over the standard import stuff to improve my odds. Several folks told me that the Earl's stuff is high end quality. That said, the fit / finish on my imported fittings was very good.

However, if steel hose ends will add to my reliability, I will toss them and re-order.

Larry

I use steel fittings on the engine and a steel fitting on the firewall for the fuel bulkhead fitting.
This spring I replaced my aluminum fittings on my oil cooler with steel. A friend had one crack on his oil cooler.

While the engine was off for a rebuild I ordered all new hoses from Tom at http://www.tsflightlines.com/

My hoses were ten years old and it seemed an excellent time to replace them.
Tom provided excellent fast service and they all fit perfectly. I found the prices to be less, even with the exchange, then I could have sourced locally.

DO not use automotive parts or fittings, even if they are called "AN". Quality aircraft hoses are cheap cheap insurance, do NOT skimp on hoses.

Last edited: