lr172

Well Known Member
This will be my first year attending and will be coming in the new 6A. I offered to take one of the two teenagers and got "we both want to go." I am a short flight from OSH (Chicago-based) and was thinking of dropping one kid off, coming back home and returning with the second.

Do you guys thinks this is feasible? I don't really know what to expect, as far as logistics for this. I plan to camp in HBC and meet some the forum members. Not yet sure when I will be going, but definitely want to attend the Monday evening reception.

Larry

Sounds feasible to me. Maybe fly up on Saturday AM, drop a kid and some bags, then do a round trip to Chicago for the other kid and the rest of the bags...

Reminds me of a riddle, one chicken, fox, and chicken feed need to get across the river but you can only take one in the canoe at a time, how to get them all over to the other side, example, can't take the feed first, the fox will eat the chicken while you are gone;-).......back to sanding.......

Should be no problem at all. When you get there on the first trip, talk to the volunteers who park you about your plans and ETA for the return trip. They'll fix you up with specific directions to get back to your tent.

Just be patient if you come early, like Saturday or Sunday. Departures can be done but you'll be a salmon swimming upstream against the mass arrival. Be patient and we'll get you out.

Should be no problem at all. When you get there on the first trip, talk to the volunteers who park you about your plans and ETA for the return trip. They'll fix you up with specific directions to get back to your tent.

Just be patient if you come early, like Saturday or Sunday. Departures can be done but you'll be a salmon swimming upstream against the mass arrival. Be patient and we'll get you out.

Thanks for the guidance. So, you are suggesting that I get my camping/parking spot on the first trip vs doing a quick drop with the first kid and getting my spot on the second trip?

I'd think so... Otherwise what happens if you get delayed and don't make it back the same day?

Thanks for the guidance. So, you are suggesting that I get my camping/parking spot on the first trip vs doing a quick drop with the first kid and getting my spot on the second trip?
It's up to you. You might get a better spot earlier, and if you have gear to drop with the first kid, you can leave the gear with the kid. If you come early enough, like Saturday, you'll good a good spot regardless because it doesn't really start to fill up until Sunday afternoon. Be sure you put your tie downs in on the first trip- that is how your spot is marked "saved."

It's up to you. You might get a better spot earlier, and if you have gear to drop with the first kid, you can leave the gear with the kid. If you come early enough, like Saturday, you'll good a good spot regardless because it doesn't really start to fill up until Sunday afternoon. Be sure you put your tie downs in on the first trip- that is how your spot is marked "saved."

Ok, sounds best to grab a spot first. Is there any hassle getting out of the area to depart. I noticed the rule about no engine running in the camping area. Is it a long push to get to a taxiway?

Larry

Ok, sounds best to grab a spot first. Is there any hassle getting out of the area to depart. I noticed the rule about no engine running in the camping area. Is it a long push to get to a taxiway?

Larry

Not unless your definition of long is less than 20 yards.

There is not an issue coming and going during open airport hours. The only gotcha would be during the mass arrivals, but Jeff's team does a great job of keeping everyone informed.

Stake your tent and put your tie downs with your first son, then your spot will be saved. The earlier you mark your spot the better location you'll have.