pgroell

Well Known Member
Friend
Hello all,

I have been offered a deal on a Lycoming O360-A1G6 engine (ex Grumman GA7). The only thing I'm able to find about the engine is that it has horizontal carburetor and induction housing.
My questions are :
- is this a forward facing induction
- would this engine be suitable for a RV-7A
- if suitable, what would the most appropriate firewall forward kit be.
Thanks for your help

Grumman GA7?

pgroell said:
Hello all,

I have been offered a deal on a Lycoming O360-A1G6 engine (ex Grumman GA7). The only thing I'm able to find about the engine is that it has horizontal carburetor and induction housing.
My questions are :
- is this a forward facing induction
- would this engine be suitable for a RV-7A
- if suitable, what would the most appropriate firewall forward kit be.
Thanks for your help

I don't think it's from a Grumman GA-7... this is from the Type Certificate...

Engine
2 Lycoming O-320-D1D with Marvel Schebler Carburetor HA - 6 Setting 10-5189 or 10-5224

gil in Tucson

Well in fact it is and it is not.
In France , Socata tried to resurect the GA7.
It became the TBM 360, but had 180hp engines, Lycoming O360-A1G6.
The engine I might buy, is one of the prototypes engine (100h on it, and 4 years in storage), as the prototype was returned to the original GA7 type certificate with O320 D1D engines.

The engine you decride is not a horizontal sump. A carburator won't work except on a vertical induction sump (float bowl). Don't know what FWF kit you need though. Call Scott at Vans. Good guy to work with.

Allen

Yes to horizontal carbs....

Allen Barrett said:
The engine you decride is not a horizontal sump. A carburator won't work except on a vertical induction sump (float bowl). Don't know what FWF kit you need though. Call Scott at Vans. Good guy to work with.

Allen

Allen... Grumman liked using the horizontal HA-6 carb in their 180 HP installations - such as the O-360-A4K on my Tiger... this has a rear facing horizontal carb. - with a hole on the aft face of the sump.

Perhaps Socata used something similar when they upgraded the 160 HP to 180 HP in the same nacelles?

gil in Tucson... with a horizontal carb. sitting in the hangar... :)

Correction - talking about carbs. in general here... not specific RV installations. If the rear facing carb would fit, it would be way custom and a real squeeze... if it fit - and certainly not with a nose gear...

Last edited:
According to my Lycoming info, the O-360-A1G6 was originally certified for the Aero Commander, which Aero Commander model it does not say.

The engine has a dry weight of 300 lbs., counter weights, a Marvel H6 carburetor, dynafocal mount, Bendix mags, provision for CS prop, and parallel valve cylinders. H=19.22, W=33.37, L=31.82, the engine should fit nicely under the Van's cowl.

By comparison, Van's sells the 0-360-A1A which measures 24.59, 33.37, 29.56 respectively and weighs 290 lbs.

Van's also sells the I0-360-A1B6 which measures 19.35, 34.25, 30.70, respectively and weighs 333 lbs.

Includes carb?

David... is the carb included in those dimensions?

If it's like the Tiger, the carb protrudes rearward quite a way...

Engine_Left_01.jpg

You can see the horizontal HA-6 carb and the pancake air cleaner in the picture...

gil in Tucson

az_gila said:
You can see the horizontal HA-6 carb and the pancake air cleaner in the picture...

gil in Tucson
Man, that is a LONG engine mount. Much longer than what is used in an RV-7.

Could he possibly change the sump and carb? It might still be a good deal, if the price is right for those parts.

Well, thanks all for your input.
I'm going to see the engine next week, and have some more informations.

az_gila said:
David... is the carb included in those dimensions?

If it's like the Tiger, the carb protrudes rearward quite a way...

gil in Tucson

Gil, I don't know. The spec sheet simple says what I reported. I would assume the length dimension would include the carb, but it may not include the air filter.

If its Horz aft facing it will not work

Price out sump conversion before paying good money on the engine.

It may not fit but you can change the sump. The down side is buying a new or even used sump and or carb / FI could adds up to big bank. Also the Pressure carbs are expensive mommas to overhaul. My big point is JUST make sure you understand the cost of switching not only the sump but may be the induction tubes and other parts, not to mention a new carb or FI system. If you have to buy it all new, it may be more than its worth.

Last edited:
Watching this closely in fear . . . .

Maybe my question can be solved easily. I'm eyeing a IO320B1A - rearward horiz Bendix FI - with an eye on ownership - and if the Tiger installation is close to what I'm thinkin' about, it ain't gonna fit in a -9A. NFW.

I've been searching Van's website for engines that work and those that don't, and haven't found it. Any idea?

Any other thoughts?

Rick 90432

I don't think that would work on an -A RV. I believe you can modify the sump to be fwd facing, if the price is right, I'd go for it.