tvlawyer

The edge of the center section of the HS814 splice angle is factory made with an angle that approximates the angle at which the HS404 nose rib is placed. SInce my angle and nose rib don't exactly match angles, I was wondering: Are they supposed to, and is the edge of the HS814 suppose to butt up against the HS404 web? I'm guessing "no" since if the two pieces are touching, vibration and flex will eventually weaken one or both the HS814 aluminum angle and and HS404 nose rib.

What say y'all?

I had to trim a little of that part of my hs-814, perhaps 1/8" or so each side. Also had to trim a bit of the hs-702 spar flanges to get that 6 degree bend the proper distance from the edge.

Larry...Web of HS404 should not be touching HS814...you are right, it would wear from fibration/movement. The angle of HS814 after bending (DWG-3 view B-B is 6 degrees) should provide enough clearance from the web of HS404.. If not file HS 814 to avoid contact with the web of HS404. I can't imagine needing to cut the HS 702 front spar...nor would I ?

TerryWighs said:
Larry...Web of HS404 should not be touching HS814...you are right, it would wear from fibration/movement. The angle of HS814 after bending (DWG-3 view B-B is 6 degrees) should provide enough clearance from the web of HS404.. If not file HS 814 to avoid contact with the web of HS404. I can't imagine needing to cut the HS 702 front spar...nor would I ?
Based on what you wrote, I am right on target. I do have enough clearance between HS814 and HS404 AND I have a near perfect 6 degree bend in 814, 810 and 702.

Thanks.

TerryWighs said:
SNIP... I can't imagine needing to cut the HS 702 front spar...nor would I ?

View B-B on DWG of the -8 plans showes the bend on the front spars at 4 7/16" outboard from the edge (centerline when assembled.) Mine did not have that much length before the start of the flanges. Thats what I trimmed to allow the 6 degree bend in the proper place. Not much needed trimmed, perhaps 3/32 or 1/8" at the most. I suppose if you cut the corner relief cuts as shown in view A-A first, you may be able to get away without trimming the flanges as much.