Ron Lee

Well Known Member
I found this post from a few years ago by Dan Checkoway

"The airspace fee is 70 pesos (less than $7) per landing. Even with the administrative costs and 15% IVA tax on fuel and services, a trip to Guadalajara in an RV still costs about $400."

The concern I have...maybe unfounded...is that there are significant fees and "facilitation" costs that make it unwarranted.

I have no concern with a reasonable fee(s). I got that in the caymans. More than I pay directly here in the USA (although avgas fees take the place of use fees).

Does anyone have factual insight that would make my concerns unwarranted?

Basic route would be Brownsville TX, Tampico, Veracruz, Villahermosa, Campeche, Cozumel (all towered airports)

Last edited:
Vera Cruz has had a bad rep

for demanding mordidas. Allegedly it has been sorted out. Go to bajabushpilots.com for most current info and up to date advice.

Flying in Mexico

I agree that the Baja Bush Pilot's is a great resource for flying in Mexico. You need to have extra cash on hand for tipping and such. Unfortunately, if you don't speak fluent Spanish the fees are subject to change. Trying to argue about the fees with someone who doesn't speak good English will only make it worst. A little tip to the customs or airport official will tend to make things go easier. That is an acceptable if not expected practice down there. Then if they ask if you would like to keep an eye on your airplane overnight, a little tip there is good insurance. Who knows what would happen if you didn't. At least you wouldn't be flying something like a Cessna 182 or larger so it's not likely to get stolen for hauling drugs. If you land at a towered airport you have to pay to file a flight plan to your next destination. Flight plans down there are only used for revenue. They won't come looking for you if you don't show up when expected. That's where a spot tracker would be nice. You don?t close or file at un-towered airports. And finally, avgas isn't always available at all airports. The Baja Bush Pilots keep good tabs on where it's available. Doing that trip on my own once is enough. I think I'd only go back if I went with a group and have someone along that speaks Spanish and knows the routine. The Baja Bush Pilot?s organize regular trips for their members.

Ron I think you should go

I used to fly into Mexico quite a bit and although I belonged to the Baja Bush Pilots when Arnold Senterfitt was in charge I never went there with the organization. His book was priceless through the 16th edition at least when it covered "The Airports of Mexico & Central America." I agree that it is good to go with a group on your first trip to help walk you through the various routines in Mexico and the United States (much tougher). I never gave a "tip" to any official but I did some of the fuel guys after others shamed me into it. Fees and risks do exist but I never had a single bad experience in the ten years that I flew to Mexico by myself or with a group. It is an adventure into a large exotic country and I'm pretty sure that that appeals to you. A friend landed at La Paz once and was officially charged a large landing fee ($60 as I recall) in one of those regulation and charge waves that rolls through every so often not a single aircraft rip off - be prepared. Going into airports with towers is not a bad thing but I never had trouble at the dirt strips either. You may be surprised to land at a desolate strip and find that there are armed military personnel there assigned to check papers and make sure everything goes as the government wants it to go. I hope you make the trip and report back. Oh by the way, respect goes both ways in Mexico as anywhere else.

Bob Axsom