N546RV

Well Known Member
So I'm working on my left tank now, and tonight I pulled out the instructions for the capacitive sender to review before getting started. I was surprised to see that there's only one wire, which connects to both plates and then to the connector on the inboard rib.

I guess I'd assumed that with two plates in the tank, those two plates would act as the two plates for the capacitor, but obviously that's wrong. I guess the tank structure acts as the second plate, with the outer portion of the connector making direct contact with the rib?

This isn't make-or-break information or anything; I trust the instructions are correct. But I'm a curious guy, and I like to know how things work. :)

The reason there is only 1 wire is because the two plates are connected together in parallel. Total capacitance is a function of the plate area. The other side of the capacitor is actually the rib/skin of the tank. The BNC connector connects the skin to the outer connection of the connector, while the wire is the center conductor of the connector.

Ray is spot on. Plates are one side of the capacitor and the rib is the other.

On a different subject, I want to make sure you know a tip about sealing the BNC. Fuel can wick through the stranded wire, under the sheath and through the BNC connector and ultimately out of the tank. (So I have heard) The tip is to cover all of the wire connections with proseal for a couple of inches up the wires. I did. No leaks.

Sealing wire

Ray is spot on. Plates are one side of the capacitor and the rib is the other.

On a different subject, I want to make sure you know a tip about sealing the BNC. Fuel can wick through the stranded wire, under the sheath and through the BNC connector and ultimately out of the tank. (So I have heard) The tip is to cover all of the wire connections with proseal for a couple of inches up the wires. I did. No leaks.

+1
Seal the other ends and connections as well.