Av8torTom

Well Known Member
I have a question about purchasing a kit that's already been started by someone else. If I purchase one, how does one determine if enough of the kit remains to be built so that I can still be designated as the builder? For example, I recently saw an ad for an RV-7A with completed empanage, and wings, and partially completed fuselage. That sounds like a lot more than 50% built. Can anyone offer guidance on this?

Thanks,

Tom

Others will probably jump in here also, but this has come up again and again.

You have to do 51% of the tasks, not of the total work.

Rivet one rib, counts same as riveting all of the ribs.

I also bought a partial project, had the same concerns.

If you are concerned with the 51% amateur-built rule, you need to obtain sufficient records to show that the original builder was building as an "amateur" and not professionally.
Any number of people can build an amateur-built aircraft.

If you are concerned about the repairman certificate, this is a judgment call by the FSDO. YOU personally don't have to do 51% to qualify. You just have to show that you did a sufficient portion of the build to competently perform the condition inspection. Most FSDOs a very reasonable on this matter.

As I understand it:
If you are asking about the 51% amateur built issue, you need the previous builders log that shows the portion that is completed was done by amateurs. You can have multiple builders work on a project as long as 51% of the work completed was done by amateurs.
If you are asking about qualifying for the Repairman's certificate (so you can sign off on the condition inspection), you need to show the FAA that you have adequate knowledge of the aircraft to qualify for the repairman's certificate. I believe this is a rather subjective process that would depend on each FSDO.

Edit: I'm a slower typer than Mel...

Last edited:
Another View

Both of my RV's (one flying, one under construction) were projects in progress.
Look at them as a quick build and compare. Both were around quick build status, give or take and built by amateurs. I had no trouble getting through the paperwork and getting the repairman's certificate.

Just have a good Pre Buy done on the project and you'll be fine.