Stockmanreef

Well Known Member
I was unpacking my RV-14 wing kit and I found it impossible to not partially pull off the blue plastic. It is kind of hard to get duct tape off blue plastic without peeling it up. I guess i should have used a soldering iron, but I did not.

So the question is: On the pieces that have parts of the blue plastic missing, should I just peel off the remaining plastic?

Thanks
Ken

The longer it stays on the harder it gets to remove. Don't panic to get it off , it's not that bad for upwards of a year. Some builders remove the blue right away but I think I'm like most and leave it on as long as possible to protect the alum. I would not worry about where the tape has removed the blue plastic, just be careful handling the sheets. Have a clean table to lay them on while working with them. A soft surface (cloth) with no chips works good. Alum chips will scratch the sheets.

The blue plastic is there to protect the aluminum during the forming process.
If left on, it can cause corrosion by allowing moisture to become trapped.
Some people leave it on during the build. It is recommended to remove it.

I've heard there's a guy in Texas named Mel who will buy that plastic at a buck a pound. Suggest you bundle it up and send it to him.

Peel it all off ASAP and never worry about it again. It only gets harder to remove with age! Been there, done it.... several times..

Thanks for the feed back. I peeled off all the small parts. Now i have to do the skins. Then put them in a safe place to store.

I left mine on for the four years I was building. There was no problem removing it.

Two tricks helped, well three, really.

1. Use a piece of PVC to roll the stuff off the panels.
2. The only use for WD40 (Remember, this junk is NOT a lubricant!) on my plane was squirt the suborn plastic so it would come off easily.
3. After you assemble the plane invite your friend's wives over and have them peal that junk off!