woodmanrog

Well Known Member
May an Archer antenna be mounted any other place besides the wingtip? I am unable to run a conduit through the wing or our already flying RV6 and need to install a VOR/Glideslope antenna. I removed the one from the tail when we purchased the plane in order to save drag and because we only were flying vfr. Now that she has her ifr rating, she needs it reinstalled and I was trying not to put one back on the exterior of the plane. I purchased the Archer for an internal wing mount but it seems impractical at this time. Any thoughts?

We have run coax before through the j channel stiffener in the wings or have run in a small conduit (like a thin wall pitot line) through the lightening holes aft in the wing. Then you can use the wingtip mounting location.

It might 'work', but it won't work as designed. As Jessie said, there are ways to run wire through an already complete wing.

Charlie

It might 'work', but it won't work as designed. As Jessie said, there are ways to run wire through an already complete wing.

Charlie

I'm sure other Jesse's get this too, but do people assume I spelled my name wrong as my username or do they just not pay attention. I do the same thing, often writing Olson when the last name is Olsen. No offense taken, rv7charly, and none meant. Just a funny thing that happens ALL the time.

Drag Reduction

Woodman,

When you removed the antenna from the tail, what was the drag reduction effect? Enquiring minds.

And, Jesse, I suspect that was an iPhone auto-correction! :D

Nah... just correcting his spelling. ;-)

Sorry about that; just typing on autopilot, and autocorrect *didn't* catch it.

Charlie

Chaz,
The drag was probably pretty minimal but it was just really ugly to my eye. I will probably mount a new antenna to the tail under the fuselage like I had it on my original plane. I was able to screw the antennas out when not using them and then just replace when needed. Just not as unsightly as an antenna mounted facing forward at the top of the rudder. Thanks all for the replies.