N546RV

Well Known Member
So we're about done riveting the top skins on the wings, and I've already started looking ahead to the ailerons and flaps. I see that the instructions refer to having a true flat surface to build on, which makes perfect sense. My workbenches are a little bowed so I plan on building a platform out of plywood and poplar to get my flat surface.

My real question concerns where I see people putting weights on top of the surfaces. What is the purpose of this? Is it to just ensure that the top half of the skin is pulled evenly in place for riveting? If so, why not just have two straight surfaces in a V shape that the control surfaces fits between? Wouldn't that be just as effective as the bags of shot/soil/etc?

This may be one of those things that becomes more clear once you're actually in the midst of building. I mainly ask because a Home Depot trip for materials is in order soon, so I'm trying to consolidate trips a bit. Obviously it won't be a huge disaster if I have to make an extra trip...

:rolleyes:

Ailerons

It's done to make them straight.
Because of the way the ailerons are assembled, it's difficult to use a jig. Flaps on the other hand can be partially riveted in the jig. I used one wherever possible then moved to the flat bench. I put a section of particle board on top then weighted it with bags of driveway salt and buckets of clekos. Photos in my blog if you're interested. YMMV

Last edited: