LAMPSguy

Well Known Member
I guess I can assume that the pre-assembled spar is an example of Vans work? All of the holes look very rough...unless this is "good enough". I thought we were supposed to get rid of all tooling marks.
Just to be clear, I feel I am unqualified to determine if vans subcontracted spar work is adequate or not. I am not saying it is inferior, I just thought we were supposed to remove more tooling marks than what was left on my spar. If their engineers have decided that this is acceptable for our airplanes, GREAT, less work for me!
I am not trying to complaine here, just looking for an example of what is good enough. Also, can I just leave the sticky stuff from the tape or remove it with a solvent?

nv6qee.jpg

Last edited:
Along the same lines, your other pictures (different thread) show marks on the inside of the thicker plates.
I've also been carefully removing these, as I assumed them to fall under "tooling marks". :confused:

35aq9g8.jpg

ir120y.jpg

I was pretty impressed with my spars. There were a few flub-ups on them but they had all been correctly repaired and alodined by the factory (I think Vans has another firm actually make them). I dont recall any of the holes being "rough", but most will require match drilling anyway. On the spars I corrected any mistake that I found whether I made it or not.

Some acetone or mek will make the adhesive go away.

Exactly

Graham had it perfectly correct, there are rough tooling marks on the thick >1/8" pieces. The rivet holes are just fine, the pics above illustrate exactly what I was describing.

That kind of work would never make it past QA in my company, but there aren't exactly RV's raining to earth due to structural failures, either.

Check with Van's

Looks like something wasn't prepped properly by the subcontractor. Send some pictures to Van's and at least verify that you can continue with this spar.

The rough edges shown in the photos appear to be exactly that -- just the raw edges left from the shearing of the part by hydraulic punch press.

I'm really surprised, and concerned, to see that your spar was assembled with those edges left in that condition. Common wisdom is that, in that condition, those edges would be more likely to form cracks over time. Did you ask Van's about this? Is that "standard" on the -14?

On my -7A, I didn't leave ANY raw edge like that, nor did Van's leave any raw edges like that on the pre-assembled spars. The spars came with all perfectly smooth edges, as I would expect.

My spars were a work of art. Someone was lazy...

Phlogiston Products used to make em. Not sure if they still do.

Last edited:
The primer may give it away

If the primer is a translucent light grey as it appears in the photos, then the spars might be being made my the same company, Bonanza, that does the quick build kits.

I'm going back and forth with Vans right now about poor quality on my -10 quickbuild wings. I hope this isn't a sign of times to come.

Anodizing?

I take it the new spars aren't anodized anymore? My -7 spars were certainly a work of art for sure.