ccsmith51

Well Known Member
Well, I just ordered myself a(nother) Christmas present. My current ANR headset is being held together with some tape and zip ties, so with the sale at QT I decided to bite bullet and get a Halo.

I hope that I have as good an experience as so many others!!

Halos

Chris, you will LOVE them. It took my wife and myself maybe an hour or two of flight time to get used to them....now we will never go back. They are so much easier, lighter and less tiring to wear. BIG FAN. Enjoy your Christmas present. I put over 100 hours on them in 6 months. Great product.

I have the Clarity Aloft which I think are very similar. If you don't mind wearing earplugs they are just fantastic. I used mine in a VERY noisy airplane my Extra, and liked it better than the Bose ANR. They don't clamp your sunglasses to your head, and it's easy to wear a ball cap with them. I will never go back!

There are drawbacks!

Chris,
There are negatives to these type headsets. I have a clarity aloft set.

Negative: You could potentially, (not that I have or would admit to) forget that they are on your head after a flight and try to exit the cockpit with them still attached! :D

I have been using mine for several months and love them. I returned my wives David & Clark headset and ordering her a set of the QT Halos!

You will not be disappointed!

Dan

I love mine, I sold a couple of ANR head squeezers as soon as I got mine. For some reason, the clamp on my head is particularly annoying to me personally.

There's a sale? Do you have a link? I thought they used to advertise in the left bar, but they're not there anymore...

. . .I returned my wives David & Clark headset and ordering her a set of the QT Halos!

You will not be disappointed!

Dan
Ok Dan, can't help myself. You have got to tell me how you are able to swing being married to more than one woman! Is it like Charlie Sheen and his "Goddesses"? :p

Halo

The key to the Halo headset is getting the earplugs all the way in your ear hole. I use the youth ( small ) plugs that come with it, they work well for me. I opened up the volume control box and soldered in a pigtail for music input. Now they are my favorite and will not go back...

The key to the Halo headset is getting the earplugs all the way in your ear hole. I use the youth ( small ) plugs that come with it, they work well for me. I opened up the volume control box and soldered in a pigtail for music input. Now they are my favorite and will not go back...

Thanks for the input everybody. It sounds (no pun intended) like I made a good choice. Ron, I was wondering how I would get my iPod hooked up to the headset. Perhaps you could enlighten me on where you attached the input...

Thanks for the input everybody. It sounds (no pun intended) like I made a good choice. Ron, I was wondering how I would get my iPod hooked up to the headset. Perhaps you could enlighten me on where you attached the input...
Depending on which intercom you plan on using you should not have to tap into the headset wiring. If you install a good quality stereo intercom you can install a music input jack on your panel. I am using the PM3000. It has provisions to add music inputs. I have two jacks installed on my panel, one on the left for me and one on the right for the passenger. I just plug my I-phone into the music jack on the panel and the intercom pipes it appropriately to my headsets. No messing with soldiering connections to the headset wiring at all.

The Clarity Aloft comes with a built-in music input. That way you and your wife can listen to something different! ;->

I have over 1000hrs combined on two pair of QT Halo headsets. I have two sets for a reason. I ship at least one of them back to Phil about once per year (or more) for prompt easy repair. We keep the same box on the shelf that goes back and forth to him. I have probably been instrumental in the sale of quite a few QT headsets. Some of what hasn't been said are some of their drawbacks. My comparison is the Clarity Aloft headset that Tanya has been using on the other side of the aircraft for about the same number of hours. Her CAs have been repaired once simply due to a ham fisted user. (Remember all statements in this post are my opinion.) The QT volume control pot is, said nicely, a huge frustration. The quality of that pot is by far inferior to that of the CA and I have found a real operational issue. Yes, I open them up and clean the pot quite often. In fact, I just pulled the unit I had in service, now sitting on my desk to open and clean the pot, and swapped in my 'spare'. Tanya is quite familiar with hearing "check, check, check, check..." in the intercom for 45 seconds while I monkey with the volume pot and wires (not aircraft wiring) to get consistent audio in both ears. Both of the units I'm now using have had wire/solder joint failures both on the control board and in the head assembly at the speakers. These headsets are pretty simple and most of the time, I just do the quick repair on the bench. Finally, there is the issue of sweat/moisture buildup in the ear tubes and baffles. This is a well known issue that there probably isn't any solid solution to. Maybe my ears just generate more moisture :). You can see the moisture buildup in the last inch of the ear tubes. This moisture clogs up the very fine screen tuning baffle in the tube and audio volume very gradually declines until you find that you've got the radios turned all the way up. The solution is to pull the ear tubes off, clip off the last inch of tubing, punch out the baffle, dunk it in alcohol, blow it out with compressed air, and reinsert it into the tubing. Note, this baffle is smaller than a BB. You can also simply ditch the baffle all together if you want with a big difference in audio tone. I'll repeat that I really like my QT headsets except for the above deficiencies. I fly with them at least three times per week. They are like a favorite pair of gloves that you refuse to let go of, however I am beginning to entertain the idea of getting myself a pair of CAs. I've just always accepted these details as general required maintenance, the cost of use. With the direct comparison of so many hours of the CAs in the other seat, I'm no longer so sure.

Good Catch!

Haha Steve, Its a good thing my wife doesn't check these forums!! BUSTED!

I have the permanent ear molds for my clarity aloft set and although they are not as quiet as the foamies, it is nice not having to change the tips as often and it is also a lot quicker to put them in. They are expensive, but I was lucky enough to get mine free. I highly recommend them!

http://www.earplugstore.com/jbcuearpl.html (Just one site, not the cheapest online, but just for reference)

Dan

QT Halo maintenance

To Scott,
Thanks for the detailed description of your maintenance program.
I've had two pairs of QT Halos for several years and have really enjoyed them. My wife doesn't fly with me very often, but when she does, she hates to have her head clamped in any way so she prefers the QT Halos. I, like you and many others, have had the condensation in the tubes and have removed the baffles in one pair. The problems in my modified pair still seem to occur, although somewhat sporadically.

I'm not ready yet to go to the CA's, so I guess I need to incorporate a good maintenance program like you have. :cool:

Thanks again for sharing your experience with the QT Halos.

P.S. I'm getting my XM music from my Garmin 396 output to my PS Engineering intercom. The intercom is old so it's not very loud, but hey, I'm old and don't like LOUD music. :)

Last edited:
Depending on which intercom you plan on using you should not have to tap into the headset wiring. If you install a good quality stereo intercom you can install a music input jack on your panel. I am using the PM3000. It has provisions to add music inputs. I have two jacks installed on my panel, one on the left for me and one on the right for the passenger. I just plug my I-phone into the music jack on the panel and the intercom pipes it appropriately to my headsets. No messing with soldiering connections to the headset wiring at all.

Thanks, Steve, but I use the internal intercom in my SL-40. Unfortunately, the SL-40 does not have a music input.

The ad must cycle in and out of rotation then... I'm looking now and they're not on my sidebar.

Anytime you're looking for an advertiser on VAF, go straight to the "advertiser index". I use it all the time.

Hey Douggie, it sure would be nice to have a list in that index with your current advertisers in a text alphabetical list instead of having to sift through all of the images.

Yeah this need to be changed for sure Doug! I had no idea there were other advertisers than the list on the left. It took me quite a while to finally find the "advertisers list", and when I did I found a couple I wanted to order from instantly. Maybe put some sort of link on the listing on the left so we can find them more easily.

Anytime you're looking for an advertiser on VAF, go straight to the "advertiser index". I use it all the time.

Hey Douggie, it sure would be nice to have a list in that index with your current advertisers in a text alphabetical list instead of having to sift through all of the images.

Wow, what service!!

I ordered my Halo on Thursday, and it arrived in the mail today!!

So far the small beige colored tips are the only ones that I can get in my ear canal. The yellow are too large, the the white plastic ones seat fine in the left ear, but not so in the right.

I'll fly on Monday and see how they work.

Monday's flight will be kind of special. It is the last entry in my first log book, which I started on 8/23/68 (I quit flying for a couple of decades...) It will also be the last flight of 2011 as once that flight is complete I start the process of pulling the left tank to repair a leak and do fuel pick-up SB.

Merry Christmas Everyone!!

videos

Make sure to watch the video on the qt website. Its kind of wierd the way you insert the earpiece. Very odd, but once you "got it" you will not have any issues down the road. The yellow foam ones work great, roll squish them tight, insert them and let them expand in place. Very nice. Few times lately I have flown in friends planes and used their space DC's. Big step back. Oh well, everyone has their favs. Merry Christmas all. :D

music input

Adding the pigtail was cheaper and quicker than a new intercom for me too. I used radioshack parts and it was pretty easy if you know how to use a soldering iron. I can take a couple pics if you need. I don't know if Phil will honor the warranty now...

It would be great if there was a link to that visible somewhere when you're in the forum... I come to VAF direct to the "new posts" link, I don't come through the main page.

I'm very happy...

with the Halo! I went to the standard yellow ear plug, and now I can get them inserted pretty quickly.

I've made a couple of flights with them and they are VERY comfortable and do a great attenuation job!

I highly recommend them!