sahrens

Well Known Member
I have ordered the QB wings from Vans. I know they are completed enough that I do not need a jig, but I will need something to hold them while I complete them. Does anyone have any suggestions, plans or ideas for some kind of storage / work platform / whatever you would like to call it for the QB wings.

Thank you in advance for your suggestions and ideas.

Scott

2 x 4's and carpet strips

I have ordered the QB wings from Vans. I know they are completed enough that I do not need a jig, but I will need something to hold them while I complete them. Does anyone have any suggestions, plans or ideas for some kind of storage / work platform / whatever you would like to call it for the QB wings.

Thank you in advance for your suggestions and ideas.

Scott

For the outboard end, a big W with parallel uprights and then half-loops of carpet strip work well. Keep them on the ribs. When you need access, you can easily reposition them. For the inboard end, make an upside down U with parallel legs and a flat cross member on which you can secure the spar ends. There are many more elegant solutions around. This was my quick way of dealing with the lack of a template for the airfoil shape. It served me well. It was reasonably easy to fit the flaps, aileron brackets and wingtips while in the brackets.

Scott,

I made a wing stand from a set of plans published by EAA some years back. Here's what it looks like:

WingStand-01.jpg

Sorry I don't have a photo of it without the wings on it, but you can probably figure out the details. I got the carpet strips for free at a carpet store.

Last edited:
Here's what I did:
http://kochman.net/N819K/?p=45

Outboard leading edge goes on the carpet, and the front of the spar goes on the 2x4 at the other end. If you want to rivet the bottom skins while in the cradle, make sure all the carpet is forward of the spar, so there's no interference.

-Rob

EAA model suggestions

I did the EAA type that is shown in the picture in the 3rd reply. As suggested, I used some carpet strips for slings. The only problem was that as the carpet frayed it made a mess. My solution was putting duct tape on the carpet edges. That was OK for a while but as the duct tape aged it got to be messy and left glue residue on the wing skins.

I later saw a suggestion to try and find some discarded firehose to use for the slings. If I build another one, I will definitely be looking for some old fire hose.

My other suggestion is that shorter may be better. When I was getting ready to install my Duckworks landing lights, I realized that the slings would go right where the lights get installed. So I had to delay putting in the lights (and they are still not installed).