jmartinez443

Well Known Member
When is a good time to paint the interior of the fuse?

I'm wondering if its a good idea to just paint it and then start bolting stuff on. For instance, I would like to put the gear weldments (8A) on just once and leave it on for the duration.

TIA,

Depends

If you are going to install some type of fabric or custom interior, I wouldn't worry about the paint except where the metal will be exposed. If you are going to paint all of the interior and not use fabric, wait as long as you can before painting. I painted to soon and nicked up the paint getting in and around the fuselage to install different components. You will be in and out of the fuselage, with your shoes, tools, etc. a thousand times. And you WILL scuff up your paint job. IMHO.

I did it the slow way. I do not have any interior panels or carpeting on the floor so I wanted the paint to be in good shape. I fit everything in the plane, ran all the wiring and plumbing, and then removed everything (including the engine) to paint the inside. I put it on a big rotisory to roll it upside down to paint all the interior structure. After painting I reinstalled everything, rivet on the forward upper skin, permently mounted the windshield. All that probably added 9 month to a year to the build process. The results are great as the interior paint looks as good as the exterior.

WOW

I fit everything in the plane, ran all the wiring and plumbing, and then removed everything (including the engine) to paint the inside. .............. After painting I reinstalled everything, rivet on the forward upper skin, permently mounted the windshield.

WOW. speechless.

After all the nut plates, floor boards, and as much metal that you can do is done, that's when I painted the interior. It would be almost impossible to remove all the wiring and plumbing, a lot of extra work! I used 2 part paint and I have almost no chips or scratches. Use good paint,, not rattle can paint, it does not stand up to abuse!

I did it the slow way. All that probably added 9 month to a year to the build process.

Holy cr@p. I really want to avoid that. Your plane must look magnificent.

I am by no means shooting for a show plane. I want an honest, relatively good looking machine. I think I'll pick some spot between "before I rivet the first nutplate" and "after I've put everything in".

Thanks for your input.

Reprime then paint

Ken discusses this in the latest RVator. Finish paint should be applied over fresh primer as per manufactures instructions. For the QB interiors, already primed with S/W P60G wash primer, they wash with soapy water, dry thoroughly and then lightly scuff with a fine Scotchbrite pad just to break the surface, not to remove the old primmer. Follow this with a primmer appropriate to the finish paint and apply the finish paint within the time prescribed by the manufacturer.