ron sterba

Well Known Member
So Vans says to fab a little piece as a aileron STOP and use two rivets to hold it in place. It also says to set a angle to put the piece in prior to match drilling. Does anyone have a easier way to set the angle or make a different size piece to this?
Ron in Oregon

Last edited:
It's actually pretty easy, though it may take a couple tries. Basically, it all comes down to drilling the hole the perfect distance from the angle's radius. Just drill one hole and test it. On the next version, you may need to drill the hole slightly closer or farther from the radius. Once you've got one that gives you the proper up/down deflections, then you can go ahead and drill the second hole and rivet. The stop should be oriented such that the aileron bracket and the face of the stop are parallel to and touching each other at the point of full travel. Hope this helps.

Ok I'll give that a try Steve. Does it matter which hole is drilled first? I'm looking at the bracket and I'm thinking it doesn't really matter and like you say the edges need to be parallel at the stopping point. I have not installed this bracket yet. Sounds like the only way would be to install the attach bracket and aileron to achieve my stop location on the bracket. I'll try it tomorrow.
Thanks Steve.
Ron in Oregon
QB9A