skyking902001

Well Known Member
I am trying to decide what to do with the pre-punched holes near the leading edge of the left wing which I believe are for Van's stall warner kit. I am not using Van's kit, but an AOA indicator instead. There are 7 holes, just under 3/32" diameter. I thought about dimpling and putting in some AN426AD3's. Wondering what have others done with these holes or does anyone else have suggestions? Thanks in advance!

Skyking902001
RV-8 QB
Emp-90%
Working on wings

Leading edge holes?

I did a QB 8A and I do not remember any holes like you described being on my wing? A plan reference # or a picture of what you are talking about would help.

Allan Stern

I did a QB 8A and I do not remember any holes like you described being on my wing? A plan reference # or a picture of what you are talking about would help.

Allan Stern
I think the holes are only in the most recent kits. I'm not sure when exactly this became standard, but I received my 7 wing kit under a year ago and it had the stall warner holes present in the left leading edge skin. Older kits don't have the prepunched holes, but the stall warner can be retrofitted.

For what it is worth, I'm planning on having an AOA and thought about plugging these holes somehow. In the end, I just installed the stall warning system. I may not connect it to the audio system, but it will be there in case my plans change.

I think the holes are only in the most recent kits. I'm not sure when exactly this became standard, but I received my 7 wing kit under a year ago and it had the stall warner holes present in the left leading edge skin. Older kits don't have the prepunched holes, but the stall warner can be retrofitted.

For what it is worth, I'm planning on having an AOA and thought about plugging these holes somehow. In the end, I just installed the stall warning system. I may not connect it to the audio system, but it will be there in case my plans change.

Same deal for me...my wings are less than a year old and have the holes. You dont get an option on the new kits.

I believe Van's says to dimple 'em and fill 'em with rivets as you suggested. Thats what I plan to do.

Update from Van's

I emailed Van's earlier regarding the "holes" and got a reply earlier today. The holes are indeed for Van's stall warner. The latest kits are shipping with pre-punched holes as well as the stall warner kit. They said if not using the kit, just dimple and put a rivet in the holes. Thanks for the replys.

Skyking902001

Another "Stall Warner" Question

Since I plan to use the Dynon AOA, I returned Van's stall warner kit that came with the QB wing about a month ago. Now I am trying to find the access cover and doubler plate that covers the hole in the wing for access to the stall warner. I suspect they were in the kit I returned, but I don't know this for sure. Does anyone have the kit and are these parts included? If so, can you provide part numbers? If I can't locate the two pieces, may have to fab them myself. Thanks in advance.

Skyking902001
RV8, QB

The parts are in the stall warner kit...

The parts you are talking about are in the stall warner kit. You will need VA-195C (access reinforcement ring), VA-195D (access panel, and ten K1100-06 nutplates and #6 screws.

Last edited:
Covering the stall warner

There is an associated inspection plate on the bottom of the wing in the vicinity of the tie down block. I sold the stall warning kit to another builder and then decided to open up another hole in the right wing so that I could have access to replace the W-731 tie down bar should the tie down rings ever strip out. It's also nice to take a peek up in there every now and again. I just got done cutting it out today in fact. As far as the holes are concerned I plan on just dimpling and riveting on a piece of .020 backing plate.
a3e04m.jpg

23vxlsn.jpg