I've searched the site and googled about this and I'm a bit surprised that I haven't found more builders with QB wings who wonder where to locate the Dynon pitot. I've contacted a few individual builders but am interested in your opinions.

The Left wing outboard leading edge is already riveted, so locating it where Van's simple tube sits is too hard (at least for me). Fixing the pitot with the Gretz mount and base plate on the lower Left outboard skin, near the outboard inspection cover, seems the obvious location.

However, Dynon recommends the point of the pitot to be 2 - 12" behind the leading edge. I'm estimating the point would be about 13 3/4" behind, and about 4" diagonally outboard from the Van's simple location. The angle of the mount is likely to vary by one or two degrees compared with the Vans location.

Questions: will there be any performance or calibration issues with the pitot being a few inches behind the recommended location? And how do I manage the risk of fouling the tie-downs?

Thanks all.

Confused as always...
(Ray Williams)

Pitot

If you go with the Gretz mount, their instruction locate it right next to the rib outboard of the last access panel on the bottom skin. I see a lot of Dynon pitot tubes located there.

I recently replaced the simple Vans pitot with a heated pitot and had to install the mast in a completed wing. I install the mast in the bay just outbound of the last inspection cover (just as Larry described). I then installed an OAT probe in the hole left from the Cabs pitot.