GuppyBob

In attempts to save money by ordering only the fuse or wing as QB, what would you recommend as being easier, or faster to build with the standard kit? Put another way, is there a consensus as to which kit, fuse or wing, would be better to receive as a factory built QB?

I'll say Fuse

I'm heading down the same road as you are. I am going fuse first because - I'm building in my garage (space factor) and don't need to have a set of wings banging around for some time. However, If your doing half QB it would make sense to order QB on the second assembly. I did discuss this with Vans last year at Osh and they assured me Fuse first was no problem.

Thanks Stingray....are you going QB?

Stingray,
Are you going with the QB on both the fuse and the wing? I'm just looking to save some money on the QB option for either kit, wondering which one most people would prefer to have Van build for them! :D

Food for thought.

Although space is a factor, you should consider the shipping costs of getting the wings and fuse together in the same load, vs. two separate shipments.

Wings hung on the wall dont take up a lot of room.

In attempts to save money by ordering only the fuse or wing as QB, what would you recommend as being easier, or faster to build with the standard kit? Put another way, is there a consensus as to which kit, fuse or wing, would be better to receive as a factory built QB?

I chose the Fuse because there are more 'options' you can build in. With QB wings you get factory built and tested fuel tanks and the ability to install lighting and others fairly easily (so I'm told).

Greg,
Are you building the standard fuse first...then planning to pick up the QB wings? That's starting to look like my approach.

Bob- I just started my SB wings with plans for the QB fuselage. The wings seem to be very straightforward...much like the empennage. If you can build the empennage, I believe you'll have no problems with the wings...same build technique. To me, the fuselage is more complicated and if I had to choose...which I did...I would choose the QB fuselage. I believe you get more bang for the buck with the QB fuselage over the wings. JMO.

QB Fuse

I second what Jim says.
The wings are very repetitious to build including the tanks.
On the other hand, some builders like the more challenging facets of building the fuse.

Me: QB Fuse and SB wings.
Have em all shipped at once and save $$

Thanks guys

Hey thanks for the input, with the status of the airline industry I'm looking at every angle to keep this dream kickin' along...
Blue skies,
Bob

Not decided if both QB

I haven't decided if I'll go QB or SB on the wings. I suspect that if I have the $ I'll go QB. I think when I get to the point of ordering wings I'll be very very anxious to get it finished.

Good luck

Greg,
Are you building the standard fuse first...then planning to pick up the QB wings? That's starting to look like my approach.
Yes.
With the '-1' fuselage kit, there is no longer the requirement of having the center-section built along with the spars. All you have to order 'extra' is the longeron kit. They will know what you are talking about when you order.

I agree QB fuse SB wings but for different reason.

The wings are straight forward, easy to build and you really develop the bucking skills needed to do a good job on the fuse. If you are going to choose just one and haven't built a fuse before, the the QB fuse is the way to go.

Now the fuse isn't hard to build, just has more opportunities to screw up than the wings. Complex curves and challenging rivets to buck. Even with a QB fuse you'll have the top to complete so get the bucking practice on the wings.

I'm building a slo build fus., and going with the QB wings. Hated working on the tail, love working on the fus. I am also doing several modifications to the aircraft, which will also include the wings.

Show Planes fast back mod.
Continental IO 360 engine.
Extra fuel in the wings.

Like several others have said, the wings will be less work than the fus..

Calvin