TTU_RV7

I am so excited!! My QB Kit is about ready to ship from the factory, and the wait is killing me. That being said, I am not fully ready for it yet. I need to build my wing cradle so I can properly store the wings in between working on them.

I have reviewed the wing cradle design in the preview plans. Funny how much it looks like the one Dan C designed. :D (Way to go Dan!) Problem is there are no dimensions for the leading edge cradle. It says to "use a nose rib as the template to make the cradle cutouts." Buuuut since I am getting a quickbuild, I obviously don't have a nose rib to use a template. Does anyone have any dimensions I can use to create the cutouts? At a minimum the width of the cutouts would be helpful. I can make a symmetrical curve for the cut then use padding to allow for the actual curve of the leading edge.

Thanks

I dont know who has good pics of it but IMO if you build a cradle with straps that the wing sits in like a sling is the easiest. Conforms perfect and no chance of dents. If someone has a link of one post it.

-Jeff

If someone could trace a wing rib and then scan it into a PDF file that might work. I'd be happy to do it, but I've only got -9 ribs. Don't think you want one of mine!

Another option... have you by any chance ordered leading edge landing lights already (if you're going to add them)? Inside the kit is a template of a leading edge rib which would probably work.

Good luck.

Slings are Great!

I agree with Jeff - the sling type cradle is really great, and will support your QB wings for everything you need to do. Unfortunately...I don't have a picture of mine. I think I got my ideas from a picture on Mickey Coggins site (Many great ideas there....).

I think I built mine in about 30 minutes while my wings were sitting on the trailer, and I needed a place to put them...nail guns rock! Not something that you need to overthink - Put your time into building the airplane, not the tools....

Paul Dye
RV-8 N188PD Flying

sling- hasn't tipped over yet.

:)
sling26ho.jpg

sling14zu.jpg

(thanks gil in AZ)

I just sat them on a padded shelf

I just made two shelves out of 1"x something like 10" or 12" and mounted them on the garage wall at two different heights with steel shelf brackets bought from a hardware store. When they were not in work during the 7+ years they were in my garage they were stored leading edge down on these staggered shelves which allowed the main spars to overlap. I ran eyebolts and large nails into the wall studs above the wings and below the shelves and used them as anchors for ropes to lash the wings in place there. I think I padded the shelves but the main thing is not the place anything under the leading edge in a way that would create a pressure point. Storing the wings is not a big deal but if this causes you concern you are really going to get anxious when you have to make an accurate hinged full airfoil template for rigging the ailerons and flaps. On my instructions it said something like the airfoil template is printed on the shipping crate but since I rented a truck in Portland and drove my QB kit home to Southern California I had no packing crate. Fortunately, I had also bought full airfoil tip tanks from Farn Reed in Grants Pass and I was able to use one of them to trace the airfoil and make the hinged rigging/alignment tool. Now that is critical.

Bob Axsom

Here's what I did, similar to Checkoway:

2005-01-18.431.jpeg

I have an extra wing rib that I misdrilled that you are welcomed to. Where are you located?

Also, one thing that isn't obvious from the picture is that the end of the cradle with the rib-shaped cutout fits under the second-to-last rib to provide support there.

Another modification to the Van's wing cradle

Finding a place to store all the parts while building is a challenge for all builders.

I built my wing rack like Van's calls for in their plans, then added a rack to hang the flaps up and out of the way.

In that picture you will see the ailerons hanging on the wall in the background.

The truth is, either the strap cradle or the Van's cradel will work fine. Just make sure you put it on wheels so you can move it around.

Mike,

Actually, once you get your wings, you do have a template. Just lay a piece of plywood up against the end rib, and trace the cutout.

Tracy.

Ps.

Leave the sides of your wing cradle short so you can peal the bottom skins up. Nose rib depth is good enough.

This will allow you to lift the forward edge of the bottom skin up so you can get your hand in there with a bucking bar to rivet those bottom skins in place on the cradle.

Last edited:
Hey everyone,

I have looked at the sling type unit several times and the unsecured wings just scare me. With my luck a wing will plummet off the thing. Jamie's cradle is exactly what I am shooting for.

Jaime, any chance you can get me a measuerment on width and depth of your cuts?

Steve, That figures about the lights. I have them coming with my kit!! :rolleyes: Just my luck.

Thanks everyone. (I luv this forum!! Thanks DR)

borrow some wingtips if you can

I made one like Dan did... mine is about 32" wide but you can make them even closer together.

What I did before my QB came is I borrowed a set of wing tips from a local RV-8 builder. Just use that to trace your cutouts. Make sure you enlarge the cutouts by about 1/2" to make room for some foam. I used pipe insulation. When my wings came they wouldn't fit in my cutouts (with the foam) so I had to enlarge them even more.

Here's a shot of mine:

img_5305.jpg

TTU_RV7 said:
Hey everyone,

I have looked at the sling type unit several times and the unsecured wings just scare me. With my luck a wing will plummet off the thing. Jamie's cradle is exactly what I am shooting for.

Jaime, any chance you can get me a measuerment on width and depth of your cuts?

Steve, That figures about the lights. I have them coming with my kit!! :rolleyes: Just my luck.

Thanks everyone. (I luv this forum!! Thanks DR)

Well, not sure if that would be beneficial. The airfoil of the RV is a rather shapely thing. What if I just trace the rib to a piece of paper and fax/snail mail it to you? I'm not sure if the fax would suffice since it may screw up the scale.

How much?

Does anyone know the approximate weight of 1 wing once it is ready for the rack? I tried a search with no luck. Thanks, Joe.

azav8or said:
Does anyone know the approximate weight of 1 wing once it is ready for the rack? I tried a search with no luck. Thanks, Joe.

I don't remember - but very light. Two people can lift it easily - in fact one person could lift it if balance wasn't an issue.

Most anything you build could hold up a wing. :eek:

A sling works great for the QB wings - very stable - if interested contact me at mhflyit@aol and i'll forward a picture of what i built last month and is now in use. Straight forward.

My QB plans set included a full scale drawing of the airfoil cross section. I'm sure you could get Vans to send you one of theses ahead of time.
Cheers.