rfinch

Well Known Member
There was one thread a couple of years ago about building a wing cradle for a QB Wing. That thread was mainly about whether to use a flexible sling or not in the frame, dimensions, etc.

But I'm questioning do I need a cradle at all? I'd just as soon avoid a trip to the lumber store, cutting, assembly, etc.

Of course I need something to store the wings, but if I can hang them flat from the garage ceiling that should suffice. As I understand, the finishing work on them will be on a table anyway--is that correct? So is a cradle for a QB wing used for anything other than storage?

Cradle or table ?

I built the cradle per Dan Checkoway's specs because I knew it would be a while before I got to them. It does a real nice job of keeping the weight on the spar instead of a rib/skin, although since they're pretty light anyway, it probably is not that big of a deal. As for working on them, I think you're right about being easier on a table. Just remember to pad the table, cause the wings will slide around and get scratched pretty bad if you don't.

Spend the $30 and build a cradle...actually I used scrap wood and spent <$15 on casters and steel angle braces. I work by myself so, being able to roll them around the shop has been a blessing.

While in the cradle, I did plenty of work. Also the wings are in a position to take measurements and other ponderings. Once things get hung on the wall or ceiling you're pretty much done working on them(at least for the time being).

cradle

I did the QB wings and found the wing cradle was the way to build. I finished the wings entirely in the cradle. I tried putting the wings on a table top for some of the build and found difficult to get to access some of the wing parts I was working on, so I put them back in the rolling stand where they sit today. Ailorons and flaps are easy to get to. I just needed an elevated work stand to reach the upper areas...no sweat.

EDIT: oh ya, Ducksworth lights were installed on the table. Easier access on the table

Last edited:
Building a 9A QB. I built a cradle and I would definitely say it is the only way to go! Not only do you have a safe and sturdy location to store the wings but the fact that they are on wheels and can be easily moved around the garage or out of the garage when you need extra space is really helpful.
I did a LOT of the work with the wings in the cradle.

Peter K
9A QB

OK...everybody says build the cradle. But.

I'm going to try to build in a 2-car garage with little extra room on the sides...two cars barely fit. Furthermore I want to leave one car in the garage, one on the street.

That should work, but not with both the QB fuse on its stand, and two wings in their cradle.

So I'm still thinking...how about a single wing cradle. Other wing stored flat towards the ceiling from slings. I even dropped by our local Fire Department to get some old hose they would otherwise toss to use for the slings. The single wing would take up less room and I would have access to both sides.

I'm really trying to figure out how to do this build with 1/2+ of a two-car garage, storing everything in the garage. Well, the emps might be in an upstairs bedroom. If I gotta build a standard wing cradle, then they'll have to stay in a friend's hangar at the airport. Not convenient.

Mobility

I am building a QB 8 in a 2 car garage. Prior to delivery I built a wing cradle and fuselage carriage, both on wheels. Coupled with a work bench,also with wheels when needed, I can position things where ever I need them. I have done all wing work in the cradle but will need to lift them out to install the fuel level senders. The Fuselage platform is very stable and low enough so that most work is done by bending over or in the fuselage. There has been plenty of room in the garage although of course garage sizes vary.

If you would like pictures, send me a note and I can forward them to you.

Chuck

So far everyone has been talking about QB wings - and even they are saying the cradle is a great thing. I'm building slowbuild wings, so I'm assuming the cradle would be a nice thing to have for that as well? I'm also building in half of a 2-car garage, so space is at somewhat of a premium. I can deal with the cradle while working on the wings, but they will get hung by straps for long-term storage while working on the fuse.