tomhanaway

Well Known Member
I've been flip flopping on this one. Had RV-10 QB wings and fuselage ordered but changed order back to standard kits for three main reasons:
1. Cost
2. Enjoyment of building process.
3. time until in the air isn't as important to me as the process.

However, I just had a conversation w/ a builder who's farther along than I am. He STRONGLY recommended the QB (especially for a 1st time builder-like myself) if for no other reason than the wing/center spar alignment.

I still have a month or so to change my order. I've read the various threads for and against but I don't remember coming across the alignment issue.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts and comments.
Tom Hanaway
Boynton Beach, FL

Check out mike schippers rv10 site...

He built a 9a and now he's working on his 10...

He is standard building everything.

I am building a 9a and got the standard build wings and QB fuse- mainly to save some time. The wings were not bad at all- lots of repetitive parts, but not hard. From reading Mikes site- its the same with the 10, but bigger parts.

I did order the premade fuel tanks, there's 3rd party folks out there you can get the 10 tanks pre-mae if time was an issue.

I felt like the QB fuse was the best bang for the buck to expedite the build process and am glad I did it. I enjoy the process, but I really want to fly the plane- a year or more sooner is the worth the extra cash to me.

When I made the choice the QB kits were running about 5-6 months out to delivery. It was suggested, I could get the standard wings and the premade tanks and still save 4k over the QB wings and be working on them in the meantime.

Time versus money- but I'm sure you'll be fine either way, lot's of people have paved the way ahead.

Hummm, I'm not sure what the issue would be with the wing/center spar alignment. I have a SB kit and the spars come pre drilled in matched sets (no attachment hole drilling required). The only alignment issue that I can think of would be the rear spar, but you are going to have to do that with the QB too.

SB wings not a problem from where I sit

Tom, if speed/time isn't an issue for you. I dont' see any problem w/ SB wings. I dont' see any allignment issues with the -10 SB wing/spar. The wings come delivered with the center section spars. The Accuracy of the metal parts on the -10 is outstanding. From what I gather a couple of years ago, there were issues with alignment between wings and spars, and if you wanted a QB fuse you had to send them the centersection from you wings. But I'm not ecen sure that's required now as the accuracy of the CNC match hole process is soooo good that it's a rare event when something doesn't match.-----perfectly. The only quality issue I had was on one of the wing rear spars, where something went awry in the bending/forming process and it resulted in the spar caps being narrowed at the ends. Nothing to do w/ QB vs/SB.

Last edited: