bhassel

Well Known Member
I've read all the threads on QB versus SB. I ordered my emp back in Feb of 2002. Since then I've hit the big 60 and just want to fly. So it looks like I'm in and getting ready to order the QB wings, QB Fuse & finish kit.

What is left to do/build when you have the QB kits?

I was thinking of going the Sam James cowl and plenum. What do I need to leave out of the finish kit if I go that way?

I'm also considering some Anti-Splat products. The panel will be very similar to the RV-12/RV-14 panel except perhaps 2 screens.

What else do I need to consider and think about?

Thanks in advance!

Bob

What is left to do QB vs SB...

Hi Bob,

For me, what was left to do was about 1,400 hours of work over 2 years. As you probably know, Van's says to read the build manual and check the QB to see that each step in the manual was done. If you'll send me a PM we can work out a way for me to send you my 135 page builders log in PDF...this will tell you what I did to complete mine (flying for a year now...101 hours!)

I did enjoy the building experience and do enjoy doing my own maintenance but if you are in a hurry you might consider a flying RV. My out of pocket expenses (including new engine) were very close to what Daniel Snow is asking for his great looking RV-9A.

John Bowen

Things to consider

With 10 years on the tail kit, I too would ask, why not sell it and buy a flying airplane? Unless your life has changed and you now want a project again.

If you are looking for a new aircraft that is totally customized to your specs, and you wish to comply with the LAW, consider spending a month on and off at the right builders center. With pro-builder help, you can still be 'present' 51% of the time to complete the QB airframe. You will be familiar with the entire aircraft and put in some of the work adding to the satisfaction of the build. Once the airframe is done you can have the shop finish all the allowable work under the 51% rule. As I remember that is all of the avionics, wiring, firewall forward, paint prep, paint, and finishing.

-Mike

If you just want to fly ...

...you'd be better off finding a good flying RV - there are many out there. With the airplane market still in "down" mode, I can buy a nice flying RV today for notably less than I have invested in my Nine. Yes, my Nine has all the goodies and customization I wanted, and I did enjoy 99% of the build process, but buying a flying RV is relatively easy and almost certainly less costly.
The QB option does much of the easy stuff. IMO, the hard work is in all the rest. Excluding tail kit, I have nearly 2400hrs invested in my QB project. Admittedly I am a slow builder - I take the time to do all tasks to my satisfaction. (Others say I'm a perfectionist ... of course, I don't think so. :D) I did my own panel design and construction, and wired the panel and plane myself (i.e. no purchased wire harness)
While I am very pleased with my Sam James cowl and plenum, that too added additional build time in my opinion. My guess is it adds 50 to 75hrs, much of it associated with the intake, alt air, and filter assembly. If you elect to build, you simply ask Vans to leave the cowl out of the finish kit, though you will need the Vans baffle kit, as it is needed with the SJ plenum.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm just at a point where it's easier for me to afford the 9 in stages or chunks. In order to buy outright I'd really need to wait a couple of more years and I'm not gettting any younger. If I was going to wait I'd have to consider the 14 as an options as well. Not that that is a bad thing :eek:. Heck I'm having a tough enough time flipping coins...9 or 12....medical or not...

When I lived in the Dallas area there was of course a very well known build center. Out here in the clear blue skies of New Mexico not so much, although I do have a good stable of really good RV buliders around me that have offered to help. Mostly, I just want to reduce the build time as much as I can. The panel work will be off loaded to someone that does that well and the engine I have plenty of local options for help with.

But just in case - I must have missed Daniel Snow's RV-9 for sale...:eek:

Bob

If you elect to build ...

... the SJ cowl and plenum are worth the time - and the few extra $$ over the Vans cowl. The performance is everything I had hoped for. With the plenum, my CHT's are always within 15F and usually within 10F. My oil temps are, if anything, too low. (For winter weather here I have fully 50% of the oil cooler blanked off, and my oil temps never exceed 180, even at OA > 45F.) The finish on my SJ cowl is excellent ... incredibly few pinholes. Many have remarked the cowl is some of the best FG layup work they've seen.

Bob, if you want to build, go ahead. Your next order will be over $25k to Van's for the QB wings and fuselage, call Tony, they will deliver your kit. Before you complete the project many more dollars will go out the door. Consequently, you will be spending $60k to $80k any way you look at it. I started when I was 55 years old and now I'm 63 with many hours at the hangar etc. This week I'm working on the air box and cowl. I believe you are right about spending the money in small chunks. I'm happy to report my plane is paid for with well over $65k invested. Just remember; there are many planes out there that you could buy with a down payment of $25k. If your tail kit doesn't sell over the next two years, you will still will be flying a nice RV-????? The next step is big! Fun stuff. Good luck.

Jim Fogarty
RV-9A MN.

Thanks everyone!

AFter looking at everything, having no true idea of real costs during the build, and medical isues I've been encoutnering since the turning of the big 60...I ordered a 12 emp/tailcone kit...

Bob