RVG8tor

Well Known Member
I am trying to find out if other had this issue. I was starting my fuel and brake line and thought I should check the torque on the gear weld mounts first since the line will be in the way. I decided to review the instructions for the weld mount installation, since I did not do this I wanted to make sure things on the QB were done IAW the plans. The part in the plans were it tells you to be patient but to keep trial fitting the weld mount and trimming the holes common to the wing bolts to make sure they have at least 1/32 clearance, well it seems this was not done. There are two bolts that hold in the false spar but that is it. I took the false spar out so I could check all the holes and most will not allow a bolt or long punch like I have to make it through. Most get to the weld mount and stop, on is interfering on the aft side of the 804 bulkhead plate. Looking at the weld mount, I can see powder coating still around the inside edges of the holes so no trimming has been done:(.

Did anyone else have this issue (RV8A QB) and what did you do? My thinking is to just take the weld mount out and do the proper fitting. It would have been nice to know I was going to have to take the weld mounts out about 3 weeks ago; I painted then and painstakingly taped up the weld mounts. Painting sure would have been easier without the weld mounts in the way.

Thank you for any help or advice.

Cheers

No isssue

I will reply to my own question since no one else has had the issue. I talked with Van's and they said it is normal for the weld mounts to not be fitted, like is called out at the top of page 8-10 of the instructions. The factory uses a special set so as not to scratch the spar bulkhead.

I took mine out to dress the holes and all is well, it was a tough job but easier after major consultation with Van's builder support, those guys are great! I have only done one side so far, I hope I do not have the clearance issues on the right.

I had an idea that if I can get to the problem holes with a Dremel I could use a bolt in the hole to limit the depth of the Dremel bit so that it does not contact the main spar just the weld mount. This might let me dress the holes to size so I don't have to take the mounts out.

Cheers

a round file works good

I think I used a round file, my chainsaw file I believe to make the holes larger. I put some duck tape on the very end of the file to protect the spar and very carefully proceeded making the holes fit to size. I remember that it took a bit of filing to get them right and I think I could have took more material away but the good enough factor came to play. Good luck

Randy