RobinHou

Well Known Member
I am building a QB RV-7A. Much had been discussed re painting the interior. I have decided to go with Rust-oleum "Professional" High Performance Enamel, Light Machine Gray, #7581.

My interior has been primed by the QB shop. In my research, I have found builders using alcohol, acetone and MEK to clean the interior before paint. I tried acetone last night, and it removed the Vans wash primer right off. Given acetone took the wash primer off so easily, I don't think MEK would leave the wash primer intact.

So, I am seeking QB builders' experience on how best to prepare the Vans wash primer for paint:

1. Does alcohol leave wash primer intact and yet do a good enough job to clean off grease and oil for paint?

2. What else did you do short of removing wash primer and re-prim before paint?

Thanks in advance, and Happy New Year!

Robin

Red Scotchbrite all over, vacuum out, go over with Panel Wipe, a spirit based degreaser available from paint suppliers - removes grease and silicone deposits but doesn't affect the wash primer.

Shoot some etch - doesn't need to be much as the wash primer has done most of the work.

Shoot the topcoat.

Move on..........;)

Cleaning primer for paint

The tried and true Stits instruction is VM&P Naptha, also known as Coleman Lantern fuel and will not remove wash primer. It works perfectly on my three Stits tube and fabric projects. It is available everywhere .