uk_figs

Well Known Member
Friend
Working my way through the manual on my QB fuselage and am at the point of the fwd wing/tank attach brackets, looks like the match holes to use for the angle and shims are already nicely riveted together throught the bulkhead and longerons. I assume I have to drill these out to mount the bracket and support angle but thought I would check here first :confused:

Dave,

I built a QB -8, not a -7, so I can't address the particular rivets you are asking about - but in general, it is not unusual for the QuickBuilders to get a little overenthusiastic and put in rivets that you need to be open....not often, but occasionally. Once you have checked numerous times...drill em' out!

Paul

There are several rivets that get drilled out to rivet in other parts as well as provide a path for bolts in that area. Like Paul mentioned, read many times and proceed. You may need to review more than one plan sheet to get the full understanding of what needs to be done.

Roberta

Dave:

Yup, drill out the rivets.

Read the plans and construction manual carefully on this one. The plans call for the top hole in the bracket to be 3/16. I drilled the top hole per the plans because the dimension and location are given. The remainder are clearly marked as "match drill". The manual however, has you start with a # 40 and then drill the 3/16 later as a match drill. I needed to remake both brackets. Additionally, the brackets are a mite confusing as far as the quirky angles and such. They also take a bit of final finageling to pursuade them to fit properly. All-in-all, one of the more challenging build items IMO.

Jekyll