GF86

I'm New Here
I'll bet this has been asked and answered several times here, so please excuse that. I am new to VAF. I just received my RV7 qb fuselage and I am curious what others have done with the "prime" coat applied to the interior by Vans? Apply addditional prime and then a finish coat or just go direct to finish? Is it best to paint immediately or later in the build and if later, when? Thanks.

Welcome to the VAF forum and congrats on starting your RV!

Try using the search button on the blue bar above and type in "Quick Build Prime". A good number of threads will be displayed for your reading pleasure.

Don?t be afraid to ask for help as you progress but also don?t be afraid to use the search button. There is a tremendous wealth of information buried in this forum?s archives.

Thanks for your reply. The results from the search you suggested prove the priming and painting debate will probably rage forever, but at least it appears there are many ways to skin the cat.

This is purely one persons approach...

The only thing I've primed on my QB fuselage are places with metal-metal contact. i.e. the rivet lines of the forward top skin. Nothing else has been primed. I don't want the weight, or upkeep of it in the back, and I live in the desert with a pretty dry climate. The project was in FL for a few years in storage, and in that time it did sprout some white surface corrosion, but only under the aft baggage compartment bulkhead where there was metal to metal contact. That I did clean up, and hit with primer.

There are plenty of 50 year old metal airplanes running around without primer inside, for me it's just added weight, work, upkeep.

I worried this issue also...

A major factor will be the environment your aircraft will reside in. Mesa, AZ? Cocoa Beach, Florida? I am the Florida option and had the paint shop paint both the wing interior and fuse. I queried several paint shops asking about the wash primer Vans uses and none were familiar with it (Sherwin Williams????) but all strongly recommended maximam corrosion protection in this rather harsh enviroment. If you think a few pounds of paint or a few dollars is burdensome wait until you wrestle with some corrosion problems.
Bottom line: ask the cognizant folks in your area.
Don