niblettda

Well Known Member
I'm sure I'm just missing it, but for the life of me I can't find reference in the plans or the directions on WHERE to start cutting out the hole for the flap rod holes in the fuselage.

On the QB fuselage there is this weird oval hole at about 30 degrees from upright in the area that I think the hole goes. I've got the wings on for the first time and I want to cut these holes, but I don't know where to start.

So any clues on position and how big of a hole to start with would be great. Or even better, just point out to me where in the directions or plans they indicate how to start the hole. I know I'll have to adjust it, that's fine.

Thanks

I did that a year ago, and as I recall (my memory is a tad fuzzy) there is a mark or hole of some kind at the location.
First I hung the flap and put in the push rod bearing on the inboard edge noting where it met the fuse. I then "interpolated" by looking at the flap actuator in the inside of the fuse, noting it's relation to the fuse bottom there. Between the two, it became clear where to cut the hole. Only THEN did I find the mark that Vans put there . :eek: You needn't obcess over the initial hole ... you'll end up grinding it bigger anyway to accomodate the fore/aft movement of the pushrod.

extra hole on the bottom skin too.

there's an extra hole, it is unevenly spaced, that's the theoretical center of the slot. How big - well, that's the question I asked earlier in the week ;)

Rick

On the QB fuselage there is this weird oval hole at about 30 degrees from upright in the area that I think the hole goes. I've got the wings on for the first time and I want to cut these holes, but I don't know where to start.

I have SB kit and this oval hole is the place to start.

flaphole.jpg

after multiple cut-and-try exercises it will look something like that

flaphole1.jpg

flaphole2.jpg

flaphole3.jpg

Thanks for the confirmation guys. I had found the "oval" hole, but I just couldn't find where in the directions it said "cut hole here". :D

Odd side question, does anyone seal this up afterwards to keep critters, air, water, etc. out? If so, how?

David there was a discussion here about sealing the hole and it was illustrated by a Rocket builder (Randy??). Do a search on VAF.

I am wondering about sealing the hole also. I already pro-sealed a bunch of gaps in that area and thought how "watertight" my cabin was going to be. Now, I learn I have to make a hole the size of my fist in it.