Phil

Well Known Member
My freshly minted QB fuselage is already showing multiple signs of filiform corrosion.

(If you have a new QB, look closely at the darker tinted areas where they applied the wash primer. These darker tinted areas are apparently places where they didn't prep the material correctly and it is now playing host to filiform corrosion. Check yours.)

My question is priming over the top of their wash primer. I don't mind shooting primer on all of the accessible parts and pieces. But what's the proper way to prepare the metal? Do I need to scuff off the wash primer?

I know there are solids in the wash primer because I've placed some of the pieces in alumaprep and after a few minutes watched the primed surface wrinkle. Then I peeled the primer off like a banana.

I'm using Dupont Variprime (Self Etching) in the rest of the kit and this is what I'd like to lay down on top of the QB primed parts.

Anyone else done this with their QB? What primer did you use? How did you prep? And finally, how successful have you been at getting the primer to bond to the aluminum?

Phil