ge9a

Well Known Member
So far, my 9A QB kit has been flawless. But today, I think I may have found a mistake that the assemblers made, but I want to summon the advice of others before jumping to that conclusion.

When fitting F-983A (fuel valve cover), per the F-983A ATTACH DETAIL on Dwg 34A, it says "DO NOT RIVET THRU F-904A", which is the center section forward bulkhead. But the two inboard-most holes in the top of F-904A already have nutplates installed in them (from the factory), when I believe they should be installed on the fuel valve cover instead. Has anyone else run into this? I would like to know before I drill them out (from the bulkhead) and continue on.

Thanks for any input.

Greg

absolutely

Greg: Exact same thing happened to me. I scratched my head for about an hour or two, looked at the plans, tried to see if I could make it work, couldn't and then drilled out the nutplate rivets. The nutplates should be where you described. I didn't report the problem to vans, since it was such a minor issue. Maybe I will send them a note. I bet the assembly line has been doing the same thing over and over again for the past two years. I found the error way back in 2003. kit #90508. So, drill 'em out and don't forget that ONLY the rear two holes in the fuel selector top plate get nutplates, the rest get screw holes, which I am sure that you know since you caught the error. Jack

Jack - Thanks for the reply. I'll drill out the nutplates and continue building! I think I will send Van's a heads-up and see what they say.

Thanks again.

Greg