skylor

Well Known Member
Quick Build Builders:

This is a reminder to leak check your fuel tanks before putting them into service. I did mine recently, and here's what I found:

DSC_9192.JPG

After removing the drain flange, I found this:

DSC_9214.jpg

Note that this is not a crack but actually a gouge, probably from a miss with a drill. The shop heads on the rivet were not prosealed either, even though the they are on the rest of the tank.

Skylor
RV-8 QB
Under Construction

Last edited:
What is Van's doing about it?

Did you by chance talk to Van's and are they doing anything about it? Like maybe paying you for your time fixing their mistake.

Thanks for the reminder! I need to do mine and I'd like to do it well before I get ready to paint.

Did you by chance talk to Van's and are they doing anything about it? Like maybe paying you for your time fixing their mistake.

Thanks for the reminder! I need to do mine and I'd like to do it well before I get ready to paint.

I haven't spoken with Van's. I seriously doubt they would pay me for my time to fix this...I'll just chalk it up to being part of the building process and I'm certain they will say the same. If my pro-seal is too old to use, I might see if they'll give me some.

This is a QB RV-8 kit delivered in late 2003. I'm sure they've fixed their quality control issues by now (yea right)...:rolleyes:

Skylor

Thanks for the reminder...

In the flurry of other fab/build activities, leak checking my QB tanks fell off my radar. Thanks much for putting it back on!