Kilo Charlie

I have ordered my 7QB kit and when I talked to Tony Partain about shipping he asked about a finishing kit and that got me thinking? I don?t know my engine, ok I have one in mind but that?s another story, but should I get the kit without the mount and cowl for now? I could probably save some money on shipping the rest now but is more parts to work with a good idea? I guess the big question is how long will it take for me to wish I had my finishing kit. I plan on working on this project daily after work and I hear that the QB does mean that I need more parts quicker :rolleyes: Any advice is appreciated.

I got the finishing kit and FWF kit right away with the QB kit. I new what prop and engine I would be using and ordered accordingly. It was nice having all the parts available so I could do things before closing up areas. It also is nice to have some no brainer stuff like putting wheels and tires together as fill in projects. I got my QB, FWF, and finishing kits in late January 2003, ordered the engine and prop in May, and got those items in late July, 2003. I started the tail in November 2002 and flew a completed, painted plane in April 2004. 1300 hrs.

Roberta

I agree with Roberta - my QB -8 took me 18 months and 1040 hours to build, and I really had to work hard to keep the purchasing curve ahead of the building curve. When I wasn't working on the plane, I was spending lunch times making my decisions and placing orders. If you have the money, buy as much as early as you can, so that (as Roberta says) you can have all sorts of little things to do when you get frustrated with a specific task.

Paul

Buy the finish kit now as there is a substantial crating charge and the shipping is expensive. You will probably save over $500 if you get it now. As for engine I would go with a Superior or ECI with a forward FI induction. I'm having a custom IO-360 built but after all the delays with the engine builder I would go the Superior route next time. Almost any engine you get will be a type one dynafocal. I have 900hrs in my airplane in 9 months and I have everything done firewall back. I should get my engine next week and I'm converting my cowl to a Modified James with hard plenum. I should be able to get it finished up by the first of July. My goal is to fly it before July 15 as I started it on July 15 2006. It has been a great build and even after working on it 25-30hrs a week after working at my real job I still can't wait to get out there and work on it. Don

QB purchase list

Would any fellow qb builders have a spreadsheet they made up of the items and timing of purchases? I am very new to all this and the learning curve is steep. As an example, now that the baggage floors are ready for final rivets, i am trying to decide how/where to run wires, how many wires, elt locations, strobe power location etc. I havent even ordered my conduit yet. Uggh. My wings are pretty well done except for the running of conduit and figuring out what lights I want.

If someone had some sort of check list they used it would be a huge help. Of course everyone would be buying different things but it would help me focus my research on the next purchase I need to have on its way, so i didnt have 400 things ALMOST finished.

The way I planned was to have a grocery list of everything I intended to install and where it would go. That way I could install wiring or any associated parts as I was building before closing access to intended routes or installations. Often you will have wiring or accessories installed long before completion. If you can afford to do it, have everything available, except the engine and prop, so you can test install things and maybe have mounting plates in to ease your final assembly. Things that come to mind are hoses, wiring, light mounting brackets (tail light), tank sending units, and radio trays.

The biggest help for me was a plan of everything I was going to install and having those items on hand to see how they all fit in the big scheme of things. This is why it is so heavily stressed by Van's, and other builders like myself, to plan ahead and read all the instructions and plans prior to starting anything. This gives a heads up of what is around the corner and keeps you from painting yourself into that corner. Get that grocery list up to date and make drawings and schematics to help guide you along. There is a lot to do on these planes and planning is a BIG part of building. I did most of my planning while I built the empennage. The best checklists are the ones you generate for your particular needs.

Anyway, Happy Building and Happier Flying :)

Roberta