rv8gibbo

Well Known Member
Hi guys, today I riveted my bottom outer skin on my right wing and came into some alignment issues around the last 3 ribs and the rear spar ( main spar alignment perfect) . I have completely finished riveting the skin on but looking back I`m not sure I made the right decision by running a #40 drill back through the holes. They were around 1/4 of a hole out. The rivets took up Ok but my question is there any reason for concern with this?

Thanks

Hi guys, today I riveted my bottom outer skin on my right wing and came into some alignment issues around the last 3 ribs and the rear spar ( main spar alignment perfect) . I have completely finished riveting the skin on but looking back I`m not sure I made the right decision by running a #40 drill back through the holes. They were around 1/4 of a hole out. The rivets took up Ok but my question is there any reason for concern with this?

Thanks

Mine were the same way. The ribs tend to shift as you pull everything together. I had a few that I had to cleco every hole, and then only leave one hole open at a time as we riveted to keep things from twisting and moving. So long as the rivet heads and edge distances are all within spec you're fine.

I getting ready to put my left bottom wing skin on also and was worried because the holes won't be in the middle of the rib flange either. Mine are twards the rib not the edge. Tech counceler said as long as you can get on them with the bucking bar build on.

I contacted vans via email and they suggested that before opening up any holes I should have contact them first. They stated if the majority of set rivets cover the opened up holes in the ribs i should be ok, which they appear to be apon inspection with a mirror. I can take a very valuable lessons from this, #:1 don't rush ahead assuming everything is ok without good sound advice & #2 don't tackle this section alone, 3 hands are always better then 2.