fehdxl

Well Known Member
My search results didn't discuss why someone chose a certain oxygen system over another. So for those of you who installed a built-in oxygen, which system did you choose and why?

Also, lot's of information about mounting the bottle, but very little about mounting the outlets. Anyone have pictures of those locations?

I've only been looking at the Mountain High systems (less chance for analysis paralysis) and there are basically three styles.

(1) - the 4ip which is a full-up built in system that uses pulse technology to save O2, has a nice instrument to mount on the panel, but is the most expensive.

(2) - the O2D2 which also uses pulse technology, is portable system which can be semi-permanently mounted. It costs less, but isn't as easy to use since you have to access the button on the control box to operate it.

(3) - the A34 which is a continuous flow system that can be used with their oxygen saving oxymizer cannulas. It uses more oxygen that the others, but costs less and is a proven older technology.

While it's tempting to go with the 4ip and all of its bells and whistles...I'm not sure that a simple and inexpensive system wouldn't do just fine. What I wouldn't want to happen would to be on a multi-day (or week) trip and run out of oxygen in the bottle with no way to refill it...which is where the 4ip would do well since it has good gas(oxygen) mileage.

So, I'm looking for opinions from the field.

Thanks in advance!

-Jim

I use the O2D2 in my -6A and their single place in my 15M glider. Both will save you the extra cost in the system in oxygen refills in a short time. In any RV there is no reason not to go where the winds are favorable, I have gone up to 17.5K on long trips.

In the glider I used to have to fill an eighteen cubic foot cylinder every flight when they went over 4-5 hours, even using a re-breather cannulus. With the pulse demand it seems I can do 3 long flights and not worry about it.

The 4 place gets expensive, considering the number of times you might have 4 in the ship. It sure gives you a good looking installation!

Bruce Patton
-6A flying since '99

Thanks Bruce. Sounds like the O2D2 does save a lot of oxygen when compared to a continuous flow...even if using a rebreather type cannula.

I could go with two O2D2's to provide all 4 seats oxygen and save about $2 AMU's over the 4ip...but you're right, the 4ip does have a lot of cool factor to it.

Anyone else?

Thanks again,

-Jim

Don't know if you want to go this route, but a number of us have built our own system much cheaper than buying one. Several threads in the archives on it. I us an E cylinder and in our RV-9 we (two of us) can go ~20 hours or more on one cylinder using the oxymizer cannulas at 14-16000 ft.

greg

Thanks Greg. We have a portable system with Skyox's oxymizer that the four of us use in the Bonanza. I'll have to double check what size tank we have, but we used about 1/2 of it from approaching ABQ on our way into PHX at 14K. Not wanting to buy more $$$ O2 from the FBO, it didn't leave a lot of options on our return trip...just enough to use to get past ABQ and then no more for the rest of the trip to NE. Sure we didn't need to go high to avoid the rocks, but on a different day, maybe to get above the weather might have been nice.

I guess it's as simple as getting a larger tank (or second) for the -10. I already have a bracket built for MH's CFF-480 (6.8"d x 19.5"h = 708 cu in) and I figure your e-sized is 5" d x 29" h = 569 cu in. I'll have to figure out how large the tank we've been using is. But the combination of a pulse system with a larger tank would be a good solution. And I can only imagine a built in system is a lot nicer than loose hoses/bottle strewn around the cockpit.

Thanks for the input, I appreciate your thoughts.

-Jim

Jim,

Just some thoughts to ponder, as any of your choices listed will be a reallly nice system.

I'm a running mate of Greg's and copied much of what he did in making a home-brew pseudo-permanent install (just modified for my 6 slider versus his 9 tip-up). I'm into it for about $350 or so, and have a D bottle, with Oxymizer cannulas. The cannulas, tubing, flowmeters and quick disconnects were all from MH, who I really like as well...good folks.

That set-up has made the 2500 nm round trip Reno to TX a few times, easily with just me, and a bit close with two aboard. An E bottle, or a spare D bottle would make long/high trips really easy to complete with no hassle.

Fill-ups have averaged $20-35 on the road, with the worst being $70 (I passed) and the best price I've found being at a welding supply near OSH, who exchanged the bottle for $15 (and his bottle...now mine...had a later hydro test!)

WRT your outlet mounting location question Greg put bulkhead fittings behind his tip-up rollbar between and above the seats, and I mounted bulkhead fittings under the canopy rail, just behind and below my shoulder (I made little L-brackets to mount them to). Greg and I both wanted the cannula tubes behind us, so each worked well. Perhaps the only thing I would change on mine would be to move the fitting forward a bit for easier installation of the cannula quick disconnects in flight. Here's a pic:
O2%2525204a%252520cannula%252520view.jpg

Since you have a bottle bracket installed, perhaps there are spots under the armrests where bulkhead fittings could be installed (If a 10 has armrests). I think some have placed them n the overhead console too, but I can't swear to that...better to hear from 10 drivers on specific locations. A lot depends on how you can run the supply lines (another question better answered by 10 bubbas), but I wanted to show you those fittings, which MH has in a variety of types.

The 4ip sure does look like top-shelf stuff, and it all depends on how clean you want to make it, versus the cost. If I read the price right, it could take 150+ fill-ups to recover the cost over a basic home brew system...but it sure does look great! Then again, you could make a clean system with parts as well.

On portable systems, I've seen a friend's 10 on a X-C with the whole family, with an O2 bottle between the back seat pax' feet, nestled in with a small "carry-on". The 10 seems so cavernous that it did not seem to be an impact, space-wise. The portable MH systems that have the 4 outlets on the regulator seems perfect for that type of grab and go method.

All depends on how often and how much you'll be using O2. Have fun looking at options, and if you haven't already talked to Kevin at MH, he's a great resource...very knowledgeable and helpful!

Cheers,
Bob

I am sure my view is one sided......since I made my choice a long time ago...but I think the 4IP is the cats meow. I live in Utah and almost all my trips are done above 12,000 feet. Also, my wife gets air sick if she does not use O2 above 10,000. So, on every cross country trip we use O2. I think I have the 48 CFM bottle (not really sure what it is really called, but it is a big bottle) and pulse demand so I have never HAD to recharge the cylinder because of use...that is because on my first two annuals I accidentally discharged the system (I am a slow learner). I made it through my third annual without making that mistake, but decided that 600 lbs was not enough for my So Cal trip so I toped it off. I ended up the air on that trip for a little over 10 hours, the majority of which all four of us were on O2 and only used 200 lbs. It is a great system. When I show people my airplane and they look at the panel and ask me what is the best part.......I point to the O2 system and say that was the best decision I made. I got my own O2 cylinder this year just for refill convenience. If my calculations are correct, it will take me 10 years to break even. :)