MSFT-1

Well Known Member
I have to do the fibreglass work on my RV-8 wheel pant (I damaged it last winter, long story).

I can barely spell fibreglass, but I am ready to give it a try. I have the new parts from Van's (front half, backhalf and fairing). I also have the brackets.

Can someone tell me the correct type of fibreglass cloth and resin that I need for this job? Any other parts/tools/etc. would be helpful as well. I will then place an order with Spruce to get this project in gear. I really want the 10 kts back that I lost without the pants.

Thanks,

bruce
N297NW

Hi Bruce.

Where do you live? It would be helpful if you are near a boat store, as all of the materials are commonly used to repair and maintain fiberglass boats.

Off the top of my head, here is a list of things (some of which you already have):

1 Disposable gloves, masks (for sanding) and safety glasses
2 West System epoxy resin and hardener. This is easiest to get at a boat shop but you can order it from Spruce or wherever. This time of year you probably want the slow hardener. get the ratio pumps that they sell with the resin
3 Lightweight filler or microballoons from West
4 popsicle sticks (craft store)
5 Lots of disposable plastic cups to mix small batches of epoxy.
6 those little metal handle disposable "acid brushes" which are cheap at Harbor Freight
7 A selection of sandpaper and sanding block (can be mostly shopmade)
8 A Dremel-type tool with the little sanding drums and a cutoff wheel
9 A case of beer (to bribe the Long-EZ guy to help you do it)
10 Duct tape
11 A couple of yards of fiberglass cloth. "Rutan bid" from Spruce works well, but is probably heavier than you really need. For fairings, anything the boat shop has is probably OK if it's lightweight

There is a lot of good information on the West System page about how to use the materials. There is also a lot of information on the web. Look at Dan Checkoway's site, or Google "Long-EZ" or "Cozy Aircraft" and look through soem builder sites.

By far the easiest way is to find a plastic airplane builder local to you and get him to show you how.

Don't use the polyester resin from the autoparts store--if it smells like acetone it's not the right stuff.

Try to keep the uncured epoxy off of your skin--many people develop a significant allergy to it.

HTH

James Freeman