fehdxl

Well Known Member
A few questions for the group.

(a) Is the green style in the picture below overkill when making an antenna doubler?
(b) Is the red style inadequate becuase it's not tied into the rib on the right and therefore there's added stress on the skin between the end of the doubler and the flange of the rib?
(c) Or will either be just fine?
(d) Or should the green doubler with the flange be on the bottom and the flat doubler extend over the right rib's flange?

The grey are rivets and I didn't depict the antenna base or the screws, which will go to nutplates on the doubler.

BTW, I wish the directions would have you put these doublers in when building the lower fuselage with lots of easy access...not many sections later.

Thanks for your expertise!

-Jim

Doubler plates

Hi Jim,

Nice work on the design sketches.

I'd go with a similar design to the green arrangement, Fold an L angle to nest with the LH rib and flat sheet to nest over the top of that. Easy to cut to size after folding.

I'm sure there is someone out there (Design Engineer) a lot smarter than me who will think of a better solution.

Good luck,

Last edited:
Hi Jim,

Nice work on the design sketches.

I'd go with a similar design to the green arrangement, Fold an L angle to nest with the LH rib and flat sheet to nest over the top of that. Easy to cut to size after folding.

I'm sure there is someone out there (Design Engineer) a lot smarter than me who will think of a better solution.

Good luck,

You could put a bend in the red style such that it sits on top of that rib on the right and still sits flat on the skin. But I think that the green style would be less work and probably come out better.

Since the idea is to stiffen the skin, a small 90 degree flange (say 1/4 inch) bent upwards on the edges that go across between the ribs would do wonders...:)