Brantel

Well Known Member
I had a brain fart while cutting my aileron pushrod tubes in prep for mating my wings this weekend. I marked 65" in from each end and then added the 25/32 or whatever it was to that mark using a set of calipers. All was well until I cut the tube on the wrong line. Bottom line is that I got in a hurry and cut one to long and one too short by the fraction of an inch called out in the plans. If I had not marked two little marks on each cut, it would not have mattered but I cut to the left of the opposite cut line. I got one tube I can use and another that is short and cannot.

So, instead of paying Van's a fortune for shipping and waiting for two weeks to get a new tube, anyone know of anywere in the Southeast to get 6061-T6 1.125" OD x 0.035 wall seamless tubing?

ACS does not list this size on their site.

First screwup that required new parts since the Emp. I feel like an idiot!

All may not be lost

If you have not yet drilled for the threaded rod ends, then verify that you will have the edge distance first. I believe the holes are to be 1/4" from the end of the tube. Measure the inserted portion of the threaded rod end. Determine where the rivet line must be for edge distance and mark 1/4" beyond that. Then insert both ends to that mark. You'll probably gain a 1/4" or so. So now we're dealing with a tube that is roughly a half inch too short. Check for total length measurements from bearing center to bearing center for the rod bearings that go in the rod ends. If memory serves me correctly, those things are fairly long. You may be able to get another 1/4" off each of those. If so, you're done. If not, I would see if ACS or anyone has longer bearings. Probably cheaper and easier to get than the tube.

The other alternative (For others with this problem who may not be that far along) is to order it along with the fuse. Shipping probably won't even change.

Hope it works out,

Last edited:
warehouse

Brian,
Ryerson -Tull is a warehouser of carbon, stainless and Aluminum. They list the tube as a stocked item. I use the facility in Birmingham. They list a site in Chattanooga. If all else fails you could call them. Another is O'neal Metals though they don't stock as much aluminum, they have more locations to pick from.
Good luck

I second vmirv8bldr's advice. Try it and if it doesn't work, then order a new tube with your fuse kit. This isn't something that you need until later anyway.

Sorry to hear about that screwup. I've been there a few times in carpentry work. Now what I do is once I measure and draw my cut line, I always mark a couple of x's on the cut side of the line.

JF

I second vmirv8bldr's advice. Try it and if it doesn't work, then order a new tube with your fuse kit. This isn't something that you need until later anyway.

Fuse is almost built and ready to install wings and do rigging. Need these puppies now....

I have checked and it has proven a challenge to find this stuff East of the Mississippi so I am just going to buy it from Vans. I need several other items like the wing root fairings and some more stuff so it can hitch a ride with them.

Brian, Hold on before ordering!

Brian,

Let me check with my hangar mate to see if he has one. He has a flying -8, and I recall seeing another completed pushrod tube in the hangar. I don't know anything about that tube, but I will give him a call.

Not sure if you checked with Metal Supermarket, I have been able to get odd items in a short time if they do not have it in stock

Hold on Brian

I live in Georgia and I may have one that you can have. I'm not sure about the length, so I won't know for sure it will work for you until this afternoon. If it will work, then you can have it.