Rivethead

Well Known Member
Has anyone ever ordered push to connect air fittings from McMaster-Carr and if so are they the same kind gotten with the SafeAir products? If not where can those fittings be gotten. I prefer using the same kind and manufacture of fittings which I believe are SMC.

From an air brake guy . . .

SMC are not the best out there, but they are about the cheapest. Norgren, Parker are better. In real apps, Parker is superior, they seem to have better oring formulations (surprised? They make their own).

On the other hand, our pressure demands aren't the performance demand, the tubing retention and and aging resistance is, again, preference is Parker.

Don't use the industrial (beverage machine, etc) junk.

Look for DOT compliance at a minimum. Don't be afraid of the composite (plastic + brass) fittings.

Light greasing of the outside of the tube (if you can see grease, it's too much), and cut the tube square. Insert firmly, give it a tug. Anything that swivels too easy or too hard should not be used.

I used the smc's provided, but used parker for anything requiring NPT (like into the dynon)

Rick 90432 <-air brake guy for a living.

I did get 2 straight connectors form McMaster Carr. They seem quite a bit "cheeper" than the ones I got from SafeAir in my pitot static kit. I needed a couple of connectors to make my wing connection. I plan to use them next week when installing the wings and will make a decision if they will work or I will order some from Stein.

Push fittings

I have ordered and recently used the connections from McMaster Carr on my pitot and static systems. I used the SafeAir starter package first and finished up with the same ones from McMaster. They appear to be of the same quality only all black. I believe that they had the ones with the colored release rings, but I wasn't interested in them. I only wanted something that wouldn't leak. They use the nitrile o-rings like the ones from SafeAir. I have not tested the systems other than I had placed their plug ends on my open tubes, ie at the fuse to wing intersections. (to keep dirt/dust out of my systems) So, the pitot system was closed. I came in to the hangar one morning and discovered that my altimeter was registering 50 knots or so.... I had a fit only to find that the barometric pressure had caused the change on my altimeter.... I released the pressure and all is well..... I like McMaster-Carr; I can place an order by noon and get the items the next afternoon here in Destin. I don't think you will be disappointed with their product. Hope this helps

Thomas

I ordered mine from Stein along with the tubing cutter. Excellent tool. Easy to use and pretty much idiot proof. I really like the connectors.

One man's opinion - Only way to go

I ordered some from Stein recently because I wanted to finish up my static run in the tailcone. Although they are pricey I am glad I went ahead and gone this route. It just makes the whole process go that much easier and you can disconnect them easily as well. The way I was going to do it would have left a moisture trap where the lines come together for the static ports. The connector I got from Stein eliminated that issue. The article in Kitplanes was timely because it reinforces the approach I decide to take. Paul's post sometime back shamed me into doing the lines in a better manner. This evening I will crawl back into the tailcone to finish running the line to the panel.

I may switch over to this method for my lift reserve indicator probe lines as well. Just need to mark them behind the panel that they are for the lift reserve and not pitot/static lines. My pitot/static lines are on the pilot side of the plane whereas the lift reserve lines are on the passenger side.

Air Fittings from McMaster-Carr

Would someone be a little more specific about the air fittings from McMaster-Carr please? Brass, plastic, or whatever? Part number(s) would be very helpful.

Thanks,
Joe

Air Fittings from McMaster-Carr

[bump]

Would someone be a little more specific about the air fittings from McMaster-Carr please? Brass, plastic, or whatever? Part number(s) would be very helpful.

Thanks,
Joe