JohnF

Well Known Member
I put 3-liters of oil in the reservoir. Put 10-lbs of air pressure into it, with "in" connection capped off. Turned the prop over about 25 times, and had 30psi on the Dynon oil pressure indicator. Just to be sure, I turned the prop over another 25 times. Disconnected everything. Wanted to check oil level, and turned the prop, listening for the 'gurgle' - never heard any gurgle. Turned the prop over 50 times more (actual count) and no gurgle. Oil quantity should be between "min" and "max" on dipstick, but there are no markings on the stick. I assume the flattened section of the dip stick represent the min and max levels. I show only about 1-inch of oil on the bottom of the stick. I see in the Rotax manual that 3-liters is the oil capacity without an oil radiator, so I suppose I should add more oil to bring the level up to the top of the flattened section on the dip stick.

My real question...how can I be sure I purged the air out of the system? Is the fact that I can show 30psi oil pressure an indication that I am safe? Also I am puzzled why I cannot hear that "gurgle" sound.

Your experiece/opinions would be welcome. I will call Van's this afternoon and get their take also.

Thanks.

I put 3-liters of oil in the reservoir. Put 10-lbs of air pressure into it, with "in" connection capped off. Turned the prop over about 25 times, and had 30psi on the Dynon oil pressure indicator. Just to be sure, I turned the prop over another 25 times. Disconnected everything. Wanted to check oil level, and turned the prop, listening for the 'gurgle' - never heard any gurgle. Turned the prop over 50 times more (actual count) and no gurgle. Oil quantity should be between "min" and "max" on dipstick, but there are no markings on the stick. I assume the flattened section of the dip stick represent the min and max levels. I show only about 1-inch of oil on the bottom of the stick. I see in the Rotax manual that 3-liters is the oil capacity without an oil radiator, so I suppose I should add more oil to bring the level up to the top of the flattened section on the dip stick.

My real question...how can I be sure I purged the air out of the system? Is the fact that I can show 30psi oil pressure an indication that I am safe? Also I am puzzled why I cannot hear that "gurgle" sound.

Do you have the spark plugs installed?
You can not burp the engine unless you can develop pressure in the crankcase using cyl pressure (leakage past the rings).

You should never add oil unless you have actually gotten a burp from the engine which is confirmation that all oil has been pushed back to the oil tank. If you haven't done this you can't rely on the dip stick reading being an accurate indication of the oil level.

The service instruction that details the purging process also has details on what to inspect to verify proper purging (air removed from all of the hyd lifters).

Purging Oil System

Thanks, Scott...you nailed it; spark plugs were not installed. Will go at it again in the morning. Thanks again !
JohnF