dick seiders

Well Known Member
Purged engine today. Almost killed ourselves hand spiining prop trying to get oil pressure on Dynon. Never did get it, but oil was coming out of the drain line as required in the Rotax procedure. Reviewed the procedure and could find nothing about getting oil pressure indication. Hand propped with plugs in after the purge and received the required gurgles after only 2 turns of prop. Used a total of 4.5 qts to do the job. For those wh have done this already are we overlooking something?
Thanks in advance for the help.
Dick Seiders

You could spin the engine with the mags off and see if you get oil pressure, or better yet, start it.

4.5 qts seems high, check the oil level after you run the engine.

Last edited:
You could spin the engine with the mags off and see if you get oil pressure, or better yet, start it.

4.5 qts seems high, check the oil level after you run the engine.

I agree. I think the whole system takes about 3 1/2 qts.

Recheck the wiring related to your oil pressure sensor. It is easy to get 50 PSI just spinning the prop by hand with the pugs out.

Will do, thanks. Regarding the 4.5 qts. I suspect we lost a fair amount (altho I can't tell how much) in the process of draining overboard while prop spinning, and spillage during opening and closing the botttom drain connection.
The whole process is a bit disconcerting in that you can't get a handle on whether or not you are acheiving the objective. For example when disconnecting the bottom drain (to reposition the "in" to tank l;ine) oil pours out, but when line is re attached and pumping begins after a bit it just trickles out of the line into container. What's going on with that?
Dick Seiders

purge

I was off on the oil, but adding today to midway up the flat portion of dipstick I have now used 4.6 qts in the entire process so suspect I lost over a qt in the spilling, and draining while purging. I mean if the thing only holds 3.2 then that's what happened as it has no where else to go.
On to the no oil psi indication during the process. I could find nothing wrong with wiring hookup so went into the Dynon. Pulled up the sensor page and it was correctly set to #4 type for a Rotax engine. At the suggestion of FAA guy watching (IA) I changed that to a #1 type, shut the Dynon off , re booted it and changed back to #4. The ensuing prop turning w/o top plugs in produced psi indications immediatly and quickly rose to about 65#.
My conclusion is the purge was a success although very messy.
It's interesting that as one gets closer to finish all these hurdles keep popping up.
Greatly appreciate the tips, suggestions and good help from all of you on this site for your assistance. I am also certain I will be back for more..
Dick Seiders