cbrown747

I have already read many threads on this topic including vans opinion on buying an existing rv but wanted to ask if any others who have bought themselves or known others who have done this(purchasing existing rv). I have acquired some of the basic tools and have worked on 1 of 2 practice kits, so I have some experience playing around with riviting, dimpling, etc.

My main concern is how do you know if the builder built the plane safely did not take any shortcuts? My main thought would be to ask if he or she has any references from other builders, but that could be iffy at best.

If I was to travel to another airport in a different state to inspect an rv for sale, can I trust the local a&p mechanic where the plane is based?

I was talking to my wife about building vs buying and right now it looks like our priorities are to clean up our balance sheet over the next couple years so we can have a noticeable increase in disposable income. But with that said, if I was to start building at that time, I would be already those years away from flying vs buying something immediately. I know the advantages of building including doing your own maintenance, but I think you can get around that if you can find another a&p mechanic to work with you and help you reduce your maintenance bill.

I also was wondering if anybody read anything about what the used airplane market will be like within 4 years from now. Since they claim that there are fewer pilots staying active each year, I am surmising that the market will be more attractive to buyers.

The actual airplane I am interested in is the rv-9a. I would want autopilot along with the gps navigational system.

My main concern is how do you know if the builder built the plane safely did not take any shortcuts? My main thought would be to ask if he or she has any references from other builders, but that could be iffy at best.

If I was to travel to another airport in a different state to inspect an rv for sale, can I trust the local a&p mechanic where the plane is based?

You can remove this item from your list of concerns. Within the talent pool of RV experts, you will have no problem finding a very qualified person to do a prepurchase inspection. These forums are a great place to get lined up with someone who knows their stuff. I would not just use any local mechanic.

I know the advantages of building including doing your own maintenance, but I think you can get around that if you can find another a&p mechanic to work with you and help you reduce your maintenance

I bought my 6A and do most of the maintenance. Some things I farm out to an AI. Note that even if you build a 9A it does not mean that you are competent to rebuild a mag, carburetor, change a cylinder, etc.

I pay about $150 USD a year to have an A&P do the condition inspection. Even if you build, you would be wise to have more experienced people look at your plane periodically.

I am in the process of changing the battery and starter.

DAR/A&P

If you are interested in an RV many miles away, I would find a DAR local to the aircraft and pay him to go over and give it a look, especially if the DAR is an A&P which I think most are. Money well spent.

Also track down the local EAA chapter and ask them for help. Far as that goes, just post the location here and chances are you will find someone who will take a preliminary peek for you.

Another idea

Since you have a couple years, you may think about purchasing the tail kit and begin building it, then the wings, and if you still have time, the fuselage. When you are ready to purchase an aircraft, sell the parts you built. Here's why:

1. It will give you something to do for 2 years.
2. You will learn a lot about RV's and how they are built, and what to look for when buying.
3. It will bring you into the RV Community as a builder, not just a "looker"
4. You may lose a few dollars when you sell, but not that much. Especially if you do the slow build kits and finish them completely.
5. You could find you love building, and just decide to complete it.

Since you have a couple years, you may think about purchasing the tail kit and begin building it, then the wings, and if you still have time, the fuselage. When you are ready to purchase an aircraft, sell the parts you built.

This is great advice. As someone who has been a "looker" for the past 5, years I wish I had done this. I may just do it now.

I Say Buy!

I want to build an RV someday, but I bought a flying 9A about a year after getting my PPL. I found that I was not flying much since I had to rent a spam can, and it was not really possible to go on long cross-countries or go overnight in a rental plane. I needed to be flying and improving my skills. So I took advantage of the depressed market and found a low hours RV-9A close by. I had an A&P look at it, and he said it was better built than most plane he works on. I bought it unpainted and got to design the paint as well as put an interior kit in it. Annual inspection costs about $200 since I do all the mundane stuff myself. I recently added an autopilot which makes trips even more fun. Ideally, I would like to build a -10 someday and sell the -9A. That way I can have a plane and build one too! I say BUY and give an RV a good home.

If you are interested in an RV many miles away, I would find a DAR local to the aircraft and pay him to go over and give it a look, especially if the DAR is an A&P which I think most are. Money well spent.

Also track down the local EAA chapter and ask them for help. Far as that goes, just post the location here and chances are you will find someone who will take a preliminary peek for you.

I would not use a DAR. DAR activites are their TOP priority after their full time job. Pre-buy and other activites are VERY LOW priorties and you may need to wait a long time to get them.

Fine an RV builder that is also an A&P for the pre-buy. Their work will be just as good and cost you less money. If they know a DAR, they can ask him to pull the file from Oklahoma City Registry for little or no charge.

My suggestion is to build only if you enjoy building and have the patience that it requires. The technical ability can be gained and there are many sources for that, but patience and the ability to stick-with-it..you either have it or don't.

As for buying, it can also require some patience as there are not that great big of pool of RVs to choose from. But I am sure with some care and research and the help of an A&P you can find one that will bring you much joy. But as any plane, whether you build or buy, it does require some TLC.

Best of luck

I bought and I am glad I did. I am flying and improving skills there along with performing maintenance. I am learning SO much since this is my first airplane. You cannot build it cheaper than the current market is selling them for. As I tinker with mine and build time, I am learning what I want/need in an airplane. I think someday I will build as well to have the extreme satisfaction and pride that goes along with such a monumental task but for now, I am a happy flyer/maintainer.

Good suggestion from FresnoR

Since you have a couple years, you may think about purchasing the tail kit and begin building it, then the wings, and if you still have time, the fuselage. When you are ready to purchase an aircraft, sell the parts you built. Here's why:

1. It will give you something to do for 2 years.
2. You will learn a lot about RV's and how they are built, and what to look for when buying.
3. It will bring you into the RV Community as a builder, not just a "looker"
4. You may lose a few dollars when you sell, but not that much. Especially if you do the slow build kits and finish them completely.
5. You could find you love building, and just decide to complete it.

That is essentially what I did, although I hadn't planned it that way. I spent 4 years building an RV-7A through most of the fuselage kit. A new job made building virtually impossible, so I sold the project at a loss that I made up when I bought a flying plane. This also allowed my wife a 4 year adjustment period to the idea of us owning a plane. Even if I had the money at the beginning, she would have never signed off on buying a plane, much less an EXPERIMENTAL (a scary word for the uniformed).

However... despite a pre-buy from an A&P/IA with lots of RV experience, the engine internals ended up being junk. My experience building was invaluable in redoing baffles, cowling, fuel system plumbing, etc. but my good deal ended up not so good. In hindsight, I wish I had bought a plane that had a new engine from a well-respected builder like Aerosport or Barrett rather than a questionable overhaul.

Good luck

thanks for all the replies....I was planning on purchasing the empennage kit for the purpose of testing my abilities and desire but even if I liked it and was successful, I still would need to wait a couple years before I bought my next kit, mostly because my disposable income would be considerably improved.

I do like the thought of building an airplane and the pride that goes with it, but I also have to weigh how long do I want to wait to fly. It comes down to still having a life(vacations) while I wait to improve my balance sheet. Then it comes down to the decision of either starting a build at that time and wait another 3-5 years or buy an existing one for the same money and enjoying the whole purpose of being a pilot....to fly.

Again thanks for the replies

I purchased flying

I purchased a flying RV10 last December and it is the 7th plane I have owned in 11 years and by far the best performing of the bunch.

I travel about 48 weeks a year and have 11 year old twins so the time commitment to build at this time was not possible for me. My 11 year old son is now wanting us to build a RV8 in the future. He thinks we need to start now.

I may be forced to sell the Rv10 in the near future due to a possible change in marital status and it will be by far the one that I will miss the most with the Cessna 195 being second.

In today's world I think you can buy cheaper than build and as long as you get in no hurry you cab get a great plane.

I would not use a DAR. DAR activites are their TOP priority after their full time job. Pre-buy and other activites are VERY LOW priorties and you may need to wait a long time to get them.

Fine an RV builder that is also an A&P for the pre-buy. Their work will be just as good and cost you less money. If they know a DAR, they can ask him to pull the file from Oklahoma City Registry for little or no charge.

Depends on the DAR. Mine has over 20 years experience with RV's, is an excellent mechanic, and retired from his day job years ago. I agree however on your main point and would team him up with a known, experienced RV builder, who knows the type.

buy vs. build...
There is just nothing like the ego boost when the Center controller, far from home, asks if you built that beautiful RV on his scope and you can reply "Yes sir I did". He then asks, "Where are you headed?" and you respond "The Bahamas". You get back "Cool, I'm building a -7. I'll see you on VAF." Nothing left to respond with except <click, click>.

Tanya and I recently had a conversation about buy vs. build of some future RV of ours, related to contingencies and "what if". It darn near turned into an actual argument that she won, I MUST build.

if you want to fly, buy.

building will cost more in $ and time!!!!!!!!

to check a well built plane, look at the space between the spinner and cowl.

after 12 years flying my bought rv (3,9000 hrs) i am very happy.

i have not seen many bad rvs.

try and get one with a new engine history if possible.

good luck

If you have to ask, I say buy.

Building is something that do because you have to do it. There is no rationale to this stuff and I liken it to climbing Everest. Why do people climb Everest? Do they think they're going to find something new up there? Nope. They do it because it's their dream and they have to do it.

It's no different with building an airplane. If you just want an RV, buy one -- there are certainly a lot of very nice ones out there on the market.

However, If you want to smile broadly when someone asks you the proverbial "did you build it" question then you need to build.

I couldn`t really afford it either, so I just started buying used tools that I know I would need. Then I found a used Empenage kit that was un-started for $1000
I spend some time building it, and because of that meet lots of people and new friends that have planes. Most of those new friends are more then willing to take me flying for some help with gas.
Two month ago a used wing kit came along, so I was able to snatch it up for really cheap.
The main thing is to just start. Eventually you`ll start to downgrade your cable TV, and start cooking at home :) a few month later you have the money to get another part.
My wife has been banging rivets with me, and been there when friends inspect the build quality. She now suddenly becoming very confident in the plane, and is talking about wanting to learn how to fly.
She is also very proud of the sheet metal in the garage :)