Jerry Cochran

Well Known Member
Anyone know what kind of documents necessary to buy an unregistered but almost-ready-to-fly kit? Must be some lawyerly types around here that could weigh in on this subject.

I'm just wondering if a simple Bill of Sale listing everything is adequate, signed by both parties of course.

Inquiring minds and so forth...

Jerry

EAA to the rescue

The EAA Website has some very good articles on selling/buying. Main/Aviation Interests/Homebuilders/Articles/Selling-buying.

You need to log in with your EAA number, so a link won't work.

I've done this

Since I bought a kit started by somebody else, I have spoken extensively to Vans, EAA, and FAA on this subject. EAA's website was not helpful at all on the specifics of this issue, and two people in the same office gave me conflicting advice. Cynthia at Vans was VERY helpful in sorting it all out.

You need the previous builder's logs and a statement from the builder stating that his or her work was done for recreation and education. You will need to have a (non-FAA) bill of sale to document the purchase, and Vans will need a copy of this in order to transfer the builder number from the seller to you.

You do NOT need to fill out an FAA bill of sale unless Vans issued one to the prior builder (typically occurs when firewall forward kit is ordered if I remember correctly). If Vans issued a bill of sale, then the chain of ownership needs to be established between him (her) and you. Otherwise, if Vans has not yet issued an FAA bill of sale, you are just purchasing a bunch of parts, not an aircraft, and the FAA bill of sale will just confuse the FAA. Cynthia at Vans can tell you whether the FAA bill of sale was issued or not.

Highest Regards,

Last edited:
Purchasing an unfinished kit

Dear Jerry:

Having purchased three unfinished kits (completed two of them with a co-builder) you do not need a builder's log, only a one page bill of sale to send to Van's (assuming Van's has not issued an FAA bill of sale). On the three RV DAR inspections in which I have been involved the DAR did not ask to see or look at a builder's log. I keep my builder's log on a laptop computer with only pictures, many of which I wasn't even in the picture.

The only issue that might come up if the kit is almost completed is the question of a Repairman's Certificate. I would suggest that you forgo any request to get a Repairmans's Certificate for two reasons. First, you would have to sign a federal form under false pretenses which could cause you to be subject to federal prosecution. Secondly, not having completed the majority of the work on the RV and acquired all the skills necessary to properly hold a Repairman's Certificate if you ever signed off a conditional inspection (annual for certified aircraft) and anything happened to somebody else related to operation of such airplane you could expose yourself to significant potential legal liability.

If you are from Texas, I would also suggest that you include the folloing in such non FAA bill of sale:

"I further certify that I do not habitually engage in the business of selling taxable items and sell no more than two items during a twelve month period."

And be sure to have the non FAA bill of sale notarized.

Best regards,

Thanks!

Wow! Great info and glad I asked. Someone mentioned the need for a builder's log though... In the case of my recently certified -6a the DAR never asked for it, just glanced at some photos for 15 secs and that was it. Also, a friend had his 7a built by a team of others, took 6 months with him helping when he was in town from Palm Springs. No logs looked at and guess who got the Repairman Cert.?

BTW, did you all know that Van's keeps an actual file folder with a copy of all invoices pertaining to your kit? For instance, I can go over there and look in my file any time I want and sort thru it...

Keep the good advice coming on buying a partially built RV. I'm thinking on joining the "Repeat Offender" ranks...

Jerry

You Ge the Bill of Sale from Vans

This was a little confusing to me. What happens is that you send Van's your bill of sale, and then they send you the official FAA bill of sale that you use to get your N number with. The bill of sale that I sent to Van's was basically a receipt hand written on a piece of paper.

Hans