walkman

Well Known Member
Not sure if this is the correct forum but...

I'm in the process of purchasing a flying RV-6. It is in a different state and my intention is to fly out there, do the inspection, and hopefully conclude the deal and fly it back.

I haven't purchased an aircraft since before 9/11, and all of the aircraft I've purchased have been delivered to me, so I'm unsure of the process and requirements to fly it back.

The FAA requires that registration be "applied for" before operating the aircraft. Does that mean that filling the form in, including the copies of the Bill of Sale etc, and putting it in an envelope? At what point is registration applied for? How do I buy it and fly it home the same (weekend) day?

Thanks

Hi Martin.

My airplane was delivered to me from out-of-State. It was later that I registered it to my name.

IIRC, you can complete the transaction, keep a copy of the Bill of sale and fly it home.

Re-apply for registration in your name when you get home.

Best,

My airplane was delivered to me from out-of-State. It was later that I registered it to my name.

IIRC, you can complete the transaction, keep a copy of the Bill of sale and fly it home.

Re-apply for registration in your name when you get home.

Best,

Thanks Pierre

That's what I thought, although the FAA is not clear about it (lol, what was I expecting). In fact the site says this:

"If you purchase an aircraft, you must apply for a Certificate of Aircraft Registration from the FAA Aircraft Registry before it can be operated."

Doesn't say you need to get a registration, just apply for it. Nowhere is "apply" defined.

Like You Said

I bought my 8KAB out of state last May and flew it home with a bill of sale. No airpolice pulled me over. The seller also signed an AC Form 8050-1 he printed from the FAA's website, but the instructions on their website says you can't use a printed form; it has to be an original. When I sent it in, sure enough they returned it with an original to be filled out. Follow the directions explicitly for completing it. It was nerve wracking!

http://www.faa.gov/search/?omni=MainSearch&q=Form+8050-1,+Aircraft+Registration+Application

Aircraft Certification - Registration Forms

... The Aircraft Registration Application, AC Form 8050-1, is not available for download. You must use an original Aircraft Registration ... | 25k

Why not do it all legal, it is free and takes only about a minute. Get you a copy of the FAA form 8050-1. Simple quick fill out, do as the instructions say and mail off (don't say just when to mail it off) but keep the pink copy, which clearly states it makes you legal until you get the registration back from them, providing you have a current airworthiness certificate. Why even risk problems, when the correct thing is so darned simple and easy.

It is NOT free

The registration will set you back five bucks! If you can get your hands on the form beforehand, I agree. I thought I remembered there being a 30 day grace period to file?

Insurance

Don't forget to arrange coverage before you leave and then call and text to the carrier representative that the baby is yours.

Why not do it all legal, it is free and takes only about a minute. Get you a copy of the FAA form 8050-1. Simple quick fill out, do as the instructions say and mail off (don't say just when to mail it off) but keep the pink copy, which clearly states it makes you legal until you get the registration back from them, providing you have a current airworthiness certificate. Why even risk problems, when the correct thing is so darned simple and easy.

That's exactly my plan. I think I can make a case, if the airpolice pull me over, that filling in the form and putting it in the envelope with the correct paperwork, addressing it, and putting on a stamp is "applying". I'm just flying to a mailbox :)

You have to send proof of ownership such as the BOS as part of the registration application, so how would you do that before you actually close the deal. It isn't reasonable that you would have to mail in the registration immediately after taking possession of the plane and before flying it home.

when I purchased my RV-8, the seller and I filled out the Bill of Sale and the AC Form 8050-1 at the same time and insured all the names, etc. matched across both. We sent everything in at the same time. (If I recall we did use separate envelopes). I flew home with my copy of the bill of sale and my copy of the 8050-1 (and my insurer's blessing).

About 5 weeks later I received the new aircraft certificate in the mail. I removed the bill of sale and copy of the 8050-1 from the airplane and replaced them with the new paperwork.

Never missed a single day of flying :)

That is exactly the simple way it works. Don't even need a notary or anything.
when I purchased my RV-8, the seller and I filled out the Bill of Sale and the AC Form 8050-1 at the same time and insured all the names, etc. matched across both. We sent everything in at the same time. (If I recall we did use separate envelopes). I flew home with my copy of the bill of sale and my copy of the 8050-1 (and my insurer's blessing).

About 5 weeks later I received the new aircraft certificate in the mail. I removed the bill of sale and copy of the 8050-1 from the airplane and replaced them with the new paperwork.

Never missed a single day of flying :)