Hooter

I'm New Here
Hi folks - I'm new to this site. I've had my eye on RV-4s for years. I wanted to build one but simply don't have the time - didn't even get the empennage built. I'd love an RV-8 but can't afford that right now. I've flown several RV-4s, Harmon Rockets, etc. I'm a test pilot by trade and love how RVs fly. I've also bucked a few rivets. I'm looking at a number of RV-4s on Barnstormers, Trade-a-Plane, etc. I was wondering if anyone on this site is familiar with any that are for sale right now - at least enough to validate build quality or tell me to run away?

Should I focus on those with 360 motors? What about three-bladed props? Any bulletins, AD,s, etc. that I should be aware of? Is there a good checklist of RV-4 notorious problem areas? Thanks I appreciate any sage words - I'm pretty much ready to pull the trigger & buy one but don't want to spend months and $$$ traveling all over looking at multiple planes.

Welcome

Steve, a big welcome to VAF...the home for all things RV:)

It really is still a buyer's market and the -4's are usually bargain-priced.

Smoky Ray on here is an RV expert, ex fighter pilot, and RV builder with a lot of contacts, here and abroad. Be sure and get a pre-buy inspection when you find an airplane and save yourself a lot of grief.

The -4's fly fast and perform well with 0-320's and fixed pitched props. They seem to lose that sports car like feel with the bigger engines and CS props. I have quite a bit of time in a 160 horse RV-4 with a light Catto two-bladed prop and it is very nimble.

Best,

Rv4

Stick with a basic light o320, wood prop they fly the best.
I've got about 1500 hrs in mine and love it!
Look for basic workmanship, lower engine mounts for cracks.
Get rid of the tractor fuel valve van supplies, put in an adairs (sp?) one.
I'm in the PHX area, let me know if something is local you want looked at.
I'm an A&P plus do prop balancing.
Good luck with you search.
Also don't get a "H" series engine.

...Smoky Ray on here is an RV expert, ex fighter pilot, and RV builder with a lot of contacts, here and abroad. Be sure and get a pre-buy inspection when you find an airplane and save yourself a lot of grief....

Yep. What I would do.

Stick with a basic light o320, wood prop they fly the best.
I've got about 1500 hrs in mine and love it!
Look for basic workmanship, lower engine mounts for cracks.
Get rid of the tractor fuel valve van supplies, put in an adairs (sp?) one.
I'm in the PHX area, let me know if something is local you want looked at.
I'm an A&P plus do prop balancing.
Good luck with you search.
Also don't get a "H" series engine.

Also look closely at the lower engine mount weldments inside the fuselage.
Some early -4s developed cracks there.

Welcome to VAF, Hooter! You should find plenty of help and advice in your search here. See you Monday night at Bravery.

Thanks

Thanks for the advice guys. One adittional question about staying with then light engine - if I'm concerned about cg with wife and bags, should I still stick with the light engine or would an 360 provide any significant offset in cg?

Miles - I didn't know you had an RV-7. See you tomorrow night.

Cheers,
Hooter

o-360

I was advised by an o-320 RV4 owner to go for an airplane with an o-360 if one was available. His logic was that the extra power can be useful and if you didn't need it, throttle back. Also the extra weight out front helps with C of G which can be a real issue on a 4. I also purchased a Catto 3 blade.... beautiful prop.

All and all, this was good advice in my situation.

Main point.... the RV4 is a great little airplane and that was my best decision.

PM sent about a nice RV-4 for sale built by ART CHARD

Hi folks - I'm new to this site. I've had my eye on RV-4s for years. I wanted to build one but simply don't have the time - didn't even get the empennage built. I'd love an RV-8 but can't afford that right now. I've flown several RV-4s, Harmon Rockets, etc. I'm a test pilot by trade and love how RVs fly. I've also bucked a few rivets. I'm looking at a number of RV-4s on Barnstormers, Trade-a-Plane, etc. I was wondering if anyone on this site is familiar with any that are for sale right now - at least enough to validate build quality or tell me to run away?

Should I focus on those with 360 motors? What about three-bladed props? Any bulletins, AD,s, etc. that I should be aware of? Is there a good checklist of RV-4 notorious problem areas? Thanks I appreciate any sage words - I'm pretty much ready to pull the trigger & buy one but don't want to spend months and $$$ traveling all over looking at multiple planes.

PM sent about a nice RV_4 for sale

Hi there.
I put 700 hours on my first wood prop, carburated 0320 RV4. It was nice and efficient, but I got blown away in climb-out by CS proped 360's. The wood prop needed constant attention, tightening and repair of nicks... not to speak of the fear I had when stuck in drizzle and rain. I then purchased a beautiful state-of-the-art RV6, with an IO-360, CS Hartzell, glass panel and Auto Pilot. I didn't enjoy it as much as my little RV4. Today I'm back to my beloved 4, a long gear, Cold Air Inducted IO360, 210 HP, 74 inch CS Hartzell. Frankly, it's not much faster than my original 4, and much less gas efficient. If I had to do it all over again, I'd stick with the 0320, a Catto 3 bladed prop (great prop with less chance of striking...which happened). A friend of mine has that exact set-up and he flies just as fast as I do in cruise, but consumes 2 gph less! I naturally have better climb and in my opinion, the weight distribution with the 360 and CS Prop is an improvement in the over all balance. Bottom line, 4's are a great deal if they're well built. I like the looks better than the 8 and my wife is comfortable in the back.

Pre-Buy

Does anyone know any RV experts in the Billings Montana area? One of the RV-4s on Barnstormers that I am particularly interested in is within 60 miles of Billings, MT.