fehdxl

Well Known Member
Based on a recent off-field landing incident, I was doing some mental root cause analysis with the limited information I know. One thing I came up with was an ineffective 'final punch list'.

What I'm saying is that I submit that if one had a comprehensive, dynamic, and easy method of depicting those final 'to do' items before first flight (and after too), then the lock-tite on the fuel-selector set screw may have not been omitted.

What I'm interested in hearing from the group is, what techniques did/do you use?

A few variations I've heard thus far are:
a - safety wire and flags on castle nuts that weren't torqued yet.
b - white-board/notebook depicting remaining 'things to do'
c - writing on the side of the fuselage with things to remember to accomplish
e - using torque seal to positively indicate final torqued items
f - tie-wrap and note around oil filler neck stating 'no oil' (this one used by the A&P on my field)

I'm genuinely trying to learn of other techniques. Looking for a way that is so easy, there's no reason not to follow it 100% of the time.

Thanks in advance!

-Jim
40603 Finishing Kit

Looking for a way that is so easy, there's no reason not to follow it 100% of the time.

Thanks in advance!

-Jim
40603 Finishing Kit

I doubt there is "a way" to get what you are after. I suspect you will need to use a combination of methods.

You already hit on a few of the common methods used, torque seal being one of the most common for fasteners.

I kept a list taped to the side of the plane, in whatever area I was concentrating on at the time.

Another thing you can do is to stick to a system until it is done-----fuel for instance, or electrical. If it turns out you cant finish it out, then make good notes, and put it where you will not forget to use it.

A second set of eyes is one of the best IMHO.

Good luck, this thread will generate a few comments I suspect.

..... stick to a system until it is done-----fuel for instance, or electrical. If it turns out you cant finish it out, then make good notes, and put it where you will not forget to use it...

I am with Mike on first part but I would differentiate on second - then do not move to other system till done completely with first this way you eliminate forgettness factor and save on paper :D

I used blue masking tape on stuff that needed further attention, also made lists, used a white board and safety wire with a long tail. When I had other people come over to look it over I handed them a notepad and the blue roll of tape, then usually walked away. If you hover, they spend time talking and not really looking.

BTW...we still missed stuff.

I created a To-Do log and made a point at the end of every work session in the final 6 months to spend 15 minutes looking at sections of the plane and listing those things I could see still needed to be done. Then the next day, I'd start at the front of the list. Often I had duplicates but this is ok cause it forced me to inspect what I had done.

Great idea for a thread because everybody is going to have some different ideas! I use lots of different ones, and then use multiple sets of eyes and hands at the end to check things over. If you have consecutive inspections, and fix the things each person finds...the next will STILL find something! There are thousands of parts that can be missed, and nothing is perfect, so you have to sneak up on it....

You need mulitple techniques, because Torque Seal won't tell you that the electrical connections are done, and while tags are neat, sometimes, there is simply no place to fasten them. So use what works.

Paul

Last edited:
This isn't strictly on topic but it's so closely related and generally unknown I'm including it here.

You can get self-locking castellated nuts (NASM 14144, for example) and self-locking set screws. While they don't eliminate the requirement for proper installation they do add a measure of safety to the process.

They were developed, after all, because sometimes things manage to slip by.

Dave

One general technique I always use is to never, never, loosely assemble a bolt or fitting with the intention of "torquing it later". It's either not on the airplane or it's there and torqued. And then, of course, torque seal it immediately afterward. This eliminates many of the nasty surprises one runs into if a bolt or fitting is left loose and forgotten.

Well, I'm not done yet, but one thing I've been doing is using RED duct tape to mark things that are still not completed, or must be removed before flight (e.g., while waiting for some all-steel locknuts for engine compartment stuff, I "marked" the temporary nuts by wrapping the fastener with red duct tape; covered the opening to the starter gear teeth with red tape, to keep FOD and swarf out).

It's hard to miss...there should be nothing *red* on that engine when it's all done except the Red Cube :).

(I also keep lists of "to do" items, as well...)

Pipe Cleaners

I bought a bag of VERY bright yellow pipe cleaners and twist short lengths on or near unfinished tasks. Easy to see and quick to attach/remove. I also use them to plug pitot static, vents, etc on the Decathlon.

Tags

I bought a bag of small string tags at Office Depot that are about 1" X 2". Whenever I have something that needs to be done later on, I write it on the tag & tie it to the item. It doesn't get taken off until job/task is complete.

After building three RV's I have done just about all these ideas. Here are my thoughts.

1. Finish what you started before moving to the next item.
2. I also used torque seal to identify anything that had been torqued.
3. I had a a list tapped to the side of the airplane that I updated from a file on my computer daily.
4. If you are doing something that requires additional parts make sure all the parts arrive before starting.
5. I also would make quick notes on the side of the airplane with a marker when required.
6. Have a build log that you follow. Actually the plans do a good job of providing the proper information however flow planning is best.
7. Most of all try to stick with it and work on your airplane every week. The start and stops provide the most opportunity for errors.

Pat