Robert Anglin

Well Known Member
We got the new Revision D of the pilots guide today and went to look at the ESP-X section. We are going to love this new G3X system when it get in and all is going. However I happened to slide just past the section on the ESP and found the one on the subject of the Pulse Oximeter. This subject is of great interest to us as I like to go Hi and long for one of my cross-x hops.
Does anyone know how this is installed and what or who's equipment is needed to get this feature up and running. If I get this correct we will get the indicator and it's readings and prompts on the GDU-460. Thanks again Team-X this is fun. Yours as always. R.E.A.III #80888

Hello Robert,

There are some carbon monoxide detectors that also incorporate a pulse oximeter feature. One such device that is compatible with your G3X system is the CO Guardian Aero 455. Please allow me to refer you to the documentation for that product for further information on its installation and operation.

- Matt

Aero 455

I have an Aero 455 installed with the G3X touch system. I'm not flying yet(just waiting on inspection) but I've found it works very well in the hangar. You just put you finger in it and 5-10 seconds later your O2% and pulse show up on the PFD.

As far as installation, it was probably the simplest device I have. Just power, ground and RS-232. Just need to program the correct RS-232 port in the G3X to CO Guardian and that's it.

The only problem I had was it wasn't working when I first got it installed because the G3X software didn't have support for it yet (no CO Guardian option in the RS-232 config.), but a quick message to G3Xpert cleared that up, as usual.;)

?

I have not found this unit as of just yet. Is this one of those stick your finger in the hole things? I was hoping that there would be an ear clip or chest band that plugged in or went wireless connect. May be with Garmin's other great sports product line it will be an easy step to get one of their rist bands or have a wireless ear clip made, that would interrelate to both markets. Sports and Aviation. Just an idea and a safety one all round for that matter. Hope this helps. Yours as always. R.E.A. III

Last edited:
Oximeter monitoring

I am hoping one of the EFIS companies will add the ability to monitor an oximeter that is worn wirelessly. This will be full time monitoring and not just when one's figure is placed into a sensor. If your O2 level drops below a specified level an alert is displayed, just like any other "system abnormal". The new Apple Watch or FitBit are supposed to have oximeters with wireless communications capability.
Jim

I think we are on to something!

I think from what I am hearing that there is good merit to this line of product development. I am not sure, but I think that the GDL-39 is wireless so it can talk to our I-Pads and so on. If Garmin already has some of those sports watches or bands that report wireless to your computer then putting one with the same frequency and programing ability to talk to the GDL-39 should be an easy step and a bit of software. Does this sound correct to my electron talented guys out there?? Yours as always. R.E.A. III #80888

Does Dynon have oximeter link?

Does anyone know if Dynon's Skyview has the capability to hook up a oximeter?
If so, does it 'Alarm'?
How? Aural, light, Electric shock to the tush?:)

I went with the 455 unit, i wasn't happy about the price but i was happy about the integration to the G3X display and not having to search for my portable one when i need it

"FAA TSO CERTIFIED"
"Price: $999.00"

Okay, is there anyone making an amateur-built version that we can buy for amateur-built pricing? This TSO version looks a lot like one of these stuck into a 2-1/4" box.

I was planning on installing one of these in my 10, but after talking with them at OSH, they said that since CO detector elements need to be replaced every 5 years or so, and it's integrated into the pulse oximeter unit, that you basically need to buy a new $1000 unit every 5 years.

Since then, I've noticed on their site that they offer a "recalibration" of the unit, but I don't know what that costs...

I've since decided to go with a Flight Data Systems CO detector ($295) that still integrates into the G3X showing CO PPM, and voice alerts... and a stand alone pocket pulse oximeter for now.

With respect to the CO Guardian 455..... Wrong-O Buffalo. Read the documentation. Talk to Guardian Avionics on the phone. Only a small sensor is replaced and the unit recalibrated at the factory every 5 to 7 years at a nominal cost. I talked to the owner and he quoted about $75 for this service. One does not replace the whole unit. We need to keep the record straight.

Furthermore, the CO Guardian 455 has built-in Bluetooth so it can take readings from a small portable pulse oximeter that can be bought at drug stores. So if one really wanted to they could fly around with that on their finger or pass it to rear-seat passengers. Also, the 455 has O2 alerts when above 10,000, 12,500 and 14,000 both audible and with a light, if so desired. All the while keeping tabs on CO in the cockpit with warnings on that too.

From their site:

The CO sensors in our detectors have a 5 to 7 year life under ideal conditions. Even if they are protected from all external contaminants, we strongly recommend re-calibration of the units after 5 years.

We will recalibrate any of your Guardian Avionics models for a flat fee (Please contact Guardian Avionics for pricing information). This service includes the installation of a new CO sensor, re-calibration of the unit and a complete system check. In addition, you will receive a fresh 12 month warranty.

Last edited:
Thanks guys.

Thanks, we are getting close to making the call as to what type of O2 system to put into the airframe. Maybe by next years Sun-In Fun. I still like the idea of a blue-tooth ear clip or something you don't have on your finger or hand all the time. We know now that the GDU-460 will give us the display we would like and talk to a wireless unit, so It is just a matter of when a neat little one comes on the market. If we hear of something along that line then I can retire that little finger clip-on unit I have had for to long now. Thanks. Yours as always, R.E.A. III #80888

The purpose of this post is not to be argumentative, but rather to provide another data point based on real-life experience.

I have an older CO Guardian unit (7 years old at the time). When I called to inquire about having it recalibrated I was told the sensor was obsolete and that my only option was to replace the unit with a newer product. In defense of CO Guardian, their new product features the same mechanical footprint and interface wiring, so it's a painless update, save for the not-so-painless hit taken by the wallet.

If we take some of the previous posts on pulse oximeters a few steps further, we are very close to having sufficient capability in our cockpits to have a pulse oximeter flag that a pilot's O2 sats have dropped to the point where he is no longer capable of controlling the airplane. The autopilot could then engage "straight and level" mode while the EFIS tunes the remote radio to 121.5 or some other suitable frequency to convey a distress signal. The really not-so-futuristic way of closing this loop (think of our current UAV technological advancements) would be to have the datalink capacity to allow a ground controller to effectively manipulate the aircraft to fly either away from built up areas and descend to an altitude where the pilot could regain consciousness, or to fly a coupled approach and auto-land at an airport with appropriate ARFF capabilities.

It is truly astounding to observe the rate at which our aircraft are building new capabilities, and at costs which were heretofore unimaginable.

iMFD 650

I talked with the owner of Guardian Avionics and they are finishing up a long development of the iMFD 650. It interfaces nicely with the G3X.
He has spoken to DR and plans to advertise soon here on the Vansairforce site.
In the meantime, videos of operation are available on their web site.
I am pleased to see builders thinking about CO and O2. Having had too much of one and too little of the other over my flying career at times, I know they can spoil your day.