sbalmos

Well Known Member
Sponsor
In reading about a friend's recent flight incident, I got to thinking. There are a number of pulse-oximeters on the market nowadays that are USB-capable. Even some that are now including Bluetooth. How hard would one think it'd be to wire a pulse-oximeter output, maybe via some USB/Bluetooth-to-discrete-output converter (Raspberry Pi would be overkill, but that kind of idea), and wire it into a discrete input on an EFIS? Then you could have a screen/audible warning set up to go off if your OxSat went below 90% or so.

Anyone else had similar thoughts, or additional thoughts? Especially on the USB-to-discrete converter.

Ya, I'm aware of those Mike. Didn't know they transmitted into the EFIS. But I don't think I'm going to keep a finger stuck in the panel constantly. Was thinking more along the lines of a sensor I could keep on a finger for continuous reading.

You gonna kill yourself when the ejection seat goes off and you are hanging by your finger....
Check out the Guardian experimental line... cheaper and well thought out.
The engineer has gotten his stuff approved by Apple..as well.
Your position on apple products shows on screen app.
And speeds, times etc.
Cool use of bluetooth...

Me too.

Yes this is a subject that is of good interest these days as our little toys seam to go higher for longer, more and more. We looked at this a while back as I like to go strait up to 13-14 on a long cross-C. There are some sensors that clip onto the ear with a little monitor. I don't remember who makes them, but that looked to be a good way to go. I ended up just getting one of the finger models so I could check it every now and then.
I did get a few doctors at the local hospital to weight in. The general rule was they liked for someone to go on O2 if the blood O2 dropped below 93%.
Maybe someone from Mile High could chime in on this as they had some good looking stuff at Oshkosh this last year. I looked at their remote operated bottle valve for a long time this year. Putting the bottle in baggage and just flipping a switch got me thinking, costly valve, but may be worth it.
Hope this helps. Yours as always. R.E.A. III #80888

We have a family member with diminished lung capacity, so oxygen sats are of concern. I was considering installing a panel-mounted oximeter but decided, before spending that much cash, to try a portable one.

Purchased a portable unit from Anti-Splat and this has made us re-think the panel-mounted device as we have trouble getting consistent readings, thus we've found that we need to be able to move the oximeter around a little bit in order to get it to "fit" our fingers properly and provide consistent results.

I can't see how a panel mount oximeter would allow consistent enough hand placement to provide good readings. Of course since we want to measure the O2 sats of a passenger, the panel-mounted option becomes even less appealing. We'll be sticking with the portable unit for a while.

Don't know if I would go to the trouble of a remote operating valve...
More complexity... equals more chance of failure.
Many of the oximiser cannulas have a thumb screw valve inline... to adjust flow. Just leave the main valve on before takeoff, and then set flow or turn it off when not using it inflight down low.
I just use up my 1800 lbs. of welding oxy and then trade the bottle in for fifteen bucks here in town. Good to go again. Pulse ox meter in the glove box.. for a periodic finger check. The little ball in the flow valve proves the oxy is flowing. Low tech.

How hard would one think it'd be to wire a pulse-oximeter output into a discrete input on an EFIS? Then you could have a screen/audible warning set up to go off if your OxSat went below 90% or so.

I'm kind of missing the point on the mission, I think.

I just look down at my finger and read the number.

Bob, re read the initial post--------he wants to see the info on the EFIS, and have a warning also.

Sorry.

Sorry, guys and gals. I went back and looked. It was a Mountain High remote regulator that I looked at last year at Oshkosh. I have not found the little ear clip sensors, in order to see if they have been updated to a "USB" or blue tooth configuration. That was some time back when we looked at them. It would be neat to know if something like that could be up-loaded to the panel in some way. May be just leave it on the ear and set the monitor on the panel and very nice if it were wireless.
Interesting thread here. Thanks. Yours. R.E.A. III #80888