John C

Well Known Member
The slider canopy is attached to the tube frame with pulled rivets. I assume moisture can leak through the hollow rivet into the tubing? If so, what is the fix? Drill drain holes in the tubing, seal the pulled rivets, both, or something else?

Thanks, John.

I think a canopy cover is the answer on the ground, as the forward parting surface will leak much more than the rivets. In flight, I think the paint accumulation around the pull rivets will seal the rivets. A drain hole sounds like a good idea! I will drill one tomorrow!

Rivets

John C said:
The slider canopy is attached to the tube frame with pulled rivets. I assume moisture can leak through the hollow rivet into the tubing? If so, what is the fix? Drill drain holes in the tubing, seal the pulled rivets, both, or something else?

Thanks, John.

Actually some pulled rivets seal rather well. There was a recent discussion of pull rivets for use in tanks. The only rivets that are still "exposed" on my canopy are on the forward hoop of the frame. I sealed them with a small dab of clearcoat during painting.

The Other John Clark
RV8 N18U "Sunshine"
KSBA

Thanks John and John

I agree that the canopy cover is best. My concern is that I have pulled rivets around the front bow, on the fore-aft tube and around the aft bow. (and the sides but that is not a concern to me). As I looked down into the holes, I do not see good paint coverage. Around the edges of the head are just fine.

The fuel tank rivets have a closed end. I had three rivets without the closed end getting into wrong box. I installed those on the tank and it would not hold pressure, which means to me fuel can get out, moisture can get in.

I think drilling drain holes is just good practice and will do that, but I would just as soon cut off all the leaks into the tubes best as possible.

What would be best to dab into the hole. The airplane is already painted.

Thanks again for the responses.

Last edited:
Some of the Sonex builders are using epoxy (JB-Weld) in each rivet.

You can purchase cheap pigment to mix with clear epoxy. I'd shoot for something in the 24h range.