DonFromTX

Well Known Member
Spent a few days with a friend from Puerto Rico, he suggested I fly on down. Was looking at maps, looks like not too bad of a trip. Has anyone flown down there and survived it?

Spent a few days with a friend from Puerto Rico, he suggested I fly on down. Was looking at maps, looks like not too bad of a trip. Has anyone flown down there and survived it?

Talk to Rosie. He just visited me a few months back.

Many times

I used to fly down to British Virgin Islands annually to sail. Stopping at Puerto Rico for fuel both ways was required.

It is a long trip, I would suggest that you start with the Bahamas for the first trip, then extend down the chain as you get more comfortable with the challenges. Fuel is not available at every airport and the check in requirements require you to land at an airport of entry first upon entering a country. The Turks and Caicos only have fuel at Provo. You need to decide about how you will traverse the long leg from Grand Turk to Puerto Rico. I think it is about 350 miles with no islands unless you dogleg to the Dominican republic.

Because you are flying an experimental aircraft You are required to get written permission to fly into any foreign country except .Bahamas, Mexico, or Canada. This can be a long process.

Remember most of all that all these folks are on island time so things move at a very relaxed pace.

If you want more detailed info contact me.

Gary Specketer
[email protected]

Last edited:
I have flown to PR three times already and it is a BLAST. The last time I did it we started the trip from Houston TX (9X1).

We meet in South Florida (KTMB) the day before we depart to flight plan, coordinate and make sure everything is in order. We make plans to arrive in PR at the same time so everyone files their flight plan and launches with this in mind. Some of us (me included) fly IFR direct while others go VFR and make several stops along the way. It all depends your airplane's capabilities. I take my experimental airplane down so I can help with any fears. Believe me it is a non issue.

During the time we are in PR we always make at least one side trip to another island for those that want to go. We also coordinate with the PR General Aviation Association and have at least one fly in while there. The flying weather between Florida and PR during December is normally INCREDIBLE.

We are already planning the 4th annual Florida to PR trip which is tentatively scheduled for Dec 13 - 23rd. We already have 4 airplanes signed up to go:
4th Annual Florida to Puerto Rico Trip. If you, or anyone else, is interested in joining us PM me and I will provide more details.
:cool:

Last edited:
Talk to Rosie. He just visited me a few months back.

Yup! That was one of the highlights of the trip: Flying out from the British Virgin Islands to Aguadilla to visit Axel and Alisha :)

Here's the routing I'd use that would keep you away from the Turks & Caicos (there fees are now prohibitive: Fuel was $250 and fees took the total to $410).

As for aircraft papers (AROW docs), not one foreign official wanted to see anything about the plane nor did they ask about having received prior permission: Passport and Pilot's License is all they want to see and they were glad to have you visit their island.

Both Great Exuma (e-mail Jermaine at Strachan Aviation ) and Puerto Plata are Easy in/Easy out and EASY flights in an RV :D

Have fun! Rosie

Last edited:
Insurance issues

As for aircraft papers (AROW docs), not one foreign official wanted to see anything about the plane nor did they ask about having received prior permission: Passport and Pilot's License is all they want to see and they were glad to have you visit their island.

Have fun! Rosie

I too have never been asked for the permission paperwork to enter a foreign country, the problem is that your airworthiness certificate is invalid if you don't have that permission. If your airworthiness is invalid, so is your insurance. Soooo if something happens you have no insurance coverage. Just food for thought.

Gary Specketer

From Rosie: Early on (first trips), we looked into 'approval' and there was nobody we could find to give the approval...

Last edited by a moderator:
OK, and now for the killer. I know that with a PPL and no medical (using my drivers license instead) I can fly to the Bahamas OK. Does any other part of the trip pose a problem with those credentials? If so I just might have to drag along someone with a medical:D

Actually with favorable winds and weather, I could make it with some reserves. However my comfort zone would dictate at least 10 gallons extra along with the 20 gallon RV12 tank. That one leg is like 450 miles as I recall.

Actually with favorable winds and weather, I could make it with some reserves. However my comfort zone would dictate at least 10 gallons extra along with the 20 gallon RV12 tank. That one leg is like 450 miles as I recall.

Sounds like it's time for some wing tanks, like our friend Oren put in his -12!

I too have never been asked for the permission paperwork to enter a foreign country, the problem is that your airworthiness certificate is invalid if you don't have that permission. If your airworthiness is invalid, so is your insurance. Soooo if something happens you have no insurance coverage. Just food for thought.

Gary Specketer

Not entirely correct. The "permission" requirement is an FAA one. This is so the FAA can ban another countries "experimental" aircraft from US airspace if it wants too. This has never happened, yet. Not having this permission does not invalidate your airworthiness certificate.

If the local government aeronautical services don't require a specific permission letter then none needed. Most ICAO countries don't even have a section or department that can generate such a letter. As far as I know only Singapore requires it now that Chile dropped the requirement a while back.

I can tell you that NONE of the Caribbean basin nations have this requirement. The Bahamas has a blanket letter they generated to appease the FAA. They never ask for it but I carry it in case an FAA inspector happens to be at US Customs when I arrive back in the US.

Last edited:
OK, and now for the killer. I know that with a PPL and no medical (using my drivers license instead) I can fly to the Bahamas OK. Does any other part of the trip pose a problem with those credentials? If so I just might have to drag along someone with a medical:D

There is no ICAO equivalent to a US Sport Pilot license so the PIC must be able to at least exercise the privileges of a Private Pilot. In other words, the PIC must have at least a PPL and a valid medical certificate. The Bahamas accepts US/Canada Sport Pilot licenses according to their Web Page. I will find out about other islands and post it here. You can also contact Premier 1 Aviation at Tamiami, FL (786-293-1440) since they fly to the Caribbean a lot with LSA's and Sport Pilot Licenses.

Last edited: