BuckWynd

Well Known Member
Has anyone out there figured out a way to mount a Push-To-Talk (PTT) pushbutton in the end of their throttle grip? (I'm using a CT-83F Deluxe 3-lever quadrant -- this is the quadrant that Van's sells, often used in tandem RVs).

After decades of flying airplanes with throttle-mounted PTTs, I'd like to be able to replicate this feature in my RV-8, but there does not appear to be any way to run the wire(s) from a switch down the shaft of the throttle lever, since the shaft goes through a very narrow slot in the base. I briefly thought about running a coiled wire across the space to the cockpit sidewall, but that idea was eliminated for several reasons (reliability concerns, mainly).

Anyone using a commerically-available throttle quadrant that would allow a PTT in the end of the throttle grip? Thanks in advance.

maybe......

www.infinityaerospace.com

If you haven't already, check this guy's site. He is building a throttle quadrant with multiple switches for all sorts of purposes. I do not know if it has been flight tested. Good luck....

Throttle PTT

Hi Buck
I did a PTT in my throttle lever. If you would like a switch e-mail me your address and I will get one out to you

my.php
[/URL][/IMG]

Hi Dayton,

your PTT looks good. A couple questions:

1. do you have a switch mfg and part number that you used?
2. how did you handle routing the wires from the switch, so they are not either crushed against the end stops or rubbing between the lever and the quadrant frame?
thanks,
brian

I spent years flying in the military with PTT switch on the throttle, and thought it was perfect. Then I spent a year in France, and flew several types that had the PTT on the stick. I quickly realized that you more often have a hand on the stick than on the throttle, so it is a better place for a PTT switch, in my opinion.

PTT on throttle

Some guys like to have both, a PTT on the stick and another on the throttle. I am told that they use the one on the stick for one radio, which we would consider the "regular" radio, and another on the throttle to use for a second radio. The second radio allows them to talk to other guys they are flying formation with while still having the "regular" radio available.

This is total hearsay on my part. I heard if from an 8 driver who has that setup. I have no actual experience in the matter.

Yes. I put PTT on the stick and the throttle. I also put flaps on the throttle.
my.php
[/URL][/IMG]
I have both Com 1 and Com 2 Act/Stby on the stick and both pitch and roll trim on the stick. Next time I will put strobes on the stick also.

very amusing, Steve ;-)

Seriously, though, you guys with switches on your throttle, I am very curious about details of how you routed the wiring. Both of the pics shown in this thread show nice switch installations, but I don't see how you are getting the wires out. I thought of making my own and using hollow square tubing as the lever and running the wires inside the tubing, but I don't see how you're doing it with flat bar stock. Are you just gluing the wires to the side or edge of the lever? Won't that interfere with the lever and the quadrant frame?

I think a switch or 2 on teh throttle is a good idea, as I usually have my hand on the throttle, but I still don;t see how you are routing the wiring, without having to build your own quadrant using hollow square tubing.

TIA,
brian

Buck,
I have Van's deluxe throttle quadrant in my -8 and simply found a spare push button switch that was left over from some previous project that was the perfect diameter to fit inside the open end of the throttle handle and secured it by drilling and tapping a small set screw from an old radio knob. I spliced a length of coiled wire from a standard telephone handset and clamped it to the outboard side of the throttle and ran it thru a grommet in the left gear tower and it has been working fine for three years and 170+ hours (yeah I know I haven't been flying enough). I also have enough time in aircraft that had that configuration (USAF & CAF) to feel comfortable with it. Sorry, I do not have a pic but if you want I could e-mail you a few.
Jerry

Hi everyone. Thanks for all your great suggestions. (Jerry, I'd love to see photos of your installation. My email is buckwynd [at] aol [dot] com.)

I've received several detailed emails and photos from various people. As usual, the VAF forum has been invaluable for picking brains that are smarter and/or more experienced than mine.

After thinking about it for while and talking to several of you, I think this is what I'm going to do (Thanks to Steve F. for the bulk of the idea):

I'm going to install a nice, big heavy-duty PTT pushbutton in the grip.

The wire (20 or 22 AWG, shielded) will be routed through a hole drilled in the throttle lever's mounting bolt, then down the "back side" of the throttle lever. It will be held against the arm via a tie-wrap (or two) inserted through small holes drilled in the arm. Up at the top of the arm (at the grip attach bolt), a non-crimped wire terminal (ring-type) will also provide some support for the wire as it comes out of the hole in the bolt and makes the 90-degree downward turn. The terminal, and the wire itself, will be covered with heat-shrink tubing for abrasion protection. Near the bottom of the throttle arm, about an inch above the slot in the quadrant, I plan to route the wire outboard to a grommeted hole in the airplane's side panel.

My initial concerns about the reliability of a wire that will bend and flex repeatedly as the throttle moves have mostly been eased by the number of people who have told me they've had no problems with similar setups, even after many hundreds of hours of operation.

Thanks again to everyone! I'll post pics as soon as the project's done.

Last edited:
Hi Noah,

Sorry, no photos yet. As it turns out, my PTT switch is going to be one of the last things I install in the cockpit. That particular project should be accomplished sometime this summer. BTW, I haven't changed the design plan since my previous posting.

I'll be sure to post the photos here.

Andair flap switches on throttle

Kind of related, I'm currently considering the Andair throttle arrangement that puts two flap switches on the throttle.

http://www.andair.co.uk/system/index.html (then see "Throttle Quadrants").

I like the idea of throttle mounted flap switches; however, if one were inclined, the switches might make good com ptts.